Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with experience of Animation degree....need to decide by tomorrow

(6 Posts)
Newnamejusttoaskthis Sun 13-Jan-19 18:10:53

If anyone has DC who have done/are doing animation or have done it themselves, what do you consider are the best universities or art colleges to apply to?

DS has been to a couple of open days, seen one place he likes (Bristol UWE) and is struggling to fill the other 4 slots on the UCAS form by tomorrow. He wants to go somewhere that covers all forms of Animation (though leans towards stop motion rather than the heavily computer based or game art type courses). We couldn't seem to understand the whole landscape of London art colleges and unis so didn't visit those...it all seemed very daunting and difficult to understand which was best for animation as opposed to art. He also visited Norwich and Leeds but didn't like as much as Bristol. Edinburgh and Manchester Met seem to have courses. also Northumbria but we couldn't make the open days.

He already has 3 A levels (128 points) so meets the course requirements for most on paper, though we know he'd have to submit portfolio at interview. Any advice or experiences anyone is willing to share would be really appreciated
- he has to submit his form tomorrow - yes, he has left it to the last minute, grrr! hmmThank you in advance !smile

OP’s posts: |
Danglingmod Sun 13-Jan-19 18:29:13

A few of ds's friends are applying for animation or illustration or design generally and I believe the best rated courses are Bournemouth, Falmouth and Ravensbourne (UofLondon).

Newnamejusttoaskthis Sun 13-Jan-19 18:49:13

Thank you very much Danglingmod, we looked at the website for Bournemouth but it seemed more computer based, I'm going to take another look now though. I heard Falmouth is great for art and illustration too and the location seems lovely but is worrie might be a bit remote. Will take a look at Ravensbourne as well (and so will he, just that I'd never get him on mumsnet!). grin.

OP’s posts: |
Devilishpyjamas Sun 13-Jan-19 18:50:13

Falmouth

Danglingmod Sun 13-Jan-19 18:51:33

I also have friends who do work in the industry and their degrees are, I think, from Anglia Ruskin and Lincoln.

celtiethree Sun 13-Jan-19 19:04:12

What about Dundee?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »