Is it possible to do a PHD and PGCE At the same time?

(21 Posts)
JesuschrisT1 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:00:34

I am either completely barking mad or over ambitious but I have recently been offered an hourly paid lecturer post after completing my Masters degree and I am now considering a PGCE. Unfortunately, I won't be able to start either the PGCE or PhD till September and I am wandering if this would be possible. I completed my Masters with 2 little ones and had a few in between jobs at the same time. Wandering if It would be advisable to work as an Hourly paid lecturer and do a PGCE and a PHD at the same time. Please help?

OP’s posts: |
ChristmassyJumper Fri 07-Dec-18 23:05:48

No chance.

And I did two masters while working!

Tryingtothinkofaclevername Fri 07-Dec-18 23:06:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SexNotJenga Fri 07-Dec-18 23:07:11


Shepherdspieisminging Fri 07-Dec-18 23:09:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

titchy Fri 07-Dec-18 23:11:02

No! What age range do you want? If uni and you want to do research do PhD next year, if looking at secondary do PGCE.

Don't forget just cos you've done one doesn't mean you can't do the other.

figelnarage Fri 07-Dec-18 23:13:05

I did a PgCTLHE in the first year of my PhD.


SexNotJenga Fri 07-Dec-18 23:19:48

What do you actually want to do for a living? Phd completely unnecessary if you want to be a teacher. PGCE not necessary if you want to research or lecture...

MilkyCuppa Fri 07-Dec-18 23:20:15

You don’t need a full PGCE to teach at university. You only need a PgCTLHE as the previous poster said. It’s nowhere near as arduous as a full PGCE for teaching in a school. You have to remember that a school PGCE will teach you lots of stuff that you simply don’t need to teach at uni, such as the national curriculum and discipline strategies and working with minors and other stuff that’s completely irrelevant to teaching willing adults at degree level.

You can do PgCTLHE alongside a PhD, your university probably offers it. It’s possible to do it in block mode, ie you do it full time for a week then go back to your PhD, then do another week later on. I think it takes about six weeks (if you really pack the hours into those weeks).

OneWildNightWithJBJ Fri 07-Dec-18 23:21:46

I did a PGCE and a Master's with about 10 years in-between. I can't even begin to imagine doing them at the same time! And doing a PhD..?? I'd definitely focus on one.

BringOnTheScience Fri 07-Dec-18 23:27:04

A PGCE is a full-time course. Seriously full- time! You won't have time for anything else at all.

PhD with a bit of lecturing is do-able.

Potato25 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:31:43

You will be too overwhelmed, PhDs are really hard and time-consuming!

PickAChew Fri 07-Dec-18 23:37:38

Pgce alo e is a good 50-60 hour week. On average.

titchy Fri 07-Dec-18 23:44:40

You only need a PgCTLHE as the previous poster said

You don't even need that tbh...

MilkyCuppa Fri 07-Dec-18 23:56:08

Nowadays its expected that academics will have a PgCTLHE. If you have over ten years teaching experience they may waive that expectation. There are no legal requirements as such but there is a common expectation that you’ll undertake some teacher training.

BackforGood Fri 07-Dec-18 23:56:31


Ingenoeruddannet Sat 08-Dec-18 21:23:08

Some of the Ph.Ds here in Denmark offer some teaching and supervision as part of the stipend, they might be worth a look. same 3 years full-time, and it's considered a salaried academic position, so you get paid pretty well. be wary though, the Danish system, unlike the UK system does not allow students to go straight from bachelor to Ph.D, so you need a masters first, and the Danish masters is seen more favorably, as its normally 1 taught year, then either long masters thesis (speciale), internship and speciale with cooperation, or taught courses and speciale. A lot of students in the second category also go on to do their Ph.D with their same company sponsoring them too, which can be a big plus smile

user2222018 Sat 08-Dec-18 21:48:10

Nowadays its expected that academics will have a PgCTLHE.

This is really not true for traditional academic subjects at research intensive universities.To get a lecturer position, you need a PhD, and several years research experience. Getting jobs is very competitive, but teaching qualifications are irrelevant: the key qualities are research performance, likely grant income, impact of research, potential to teach well. Once you have the lecturer job, you will receive appropriate training.

I have sat on dozens of appointments committees for lecturer positions at (top) research intensive universities. I do not recall seeing an interview candidate with a PGcLTHE and having one was never in the criteria (ability to teach/teaching potential was). Note that many of these job candidates in any case were international.

chemenger Sat 08-Dec-18 22:49:47

I seem to have spent the last two years on selection panels, I don’t remember a single interviewee with a PgCTLH, Engineering in a Russel group university. Again most candidates were not British.

chemenger Sat 08-Dec-18 22:51:53

I do know Russell has a double l. My iPad doesn’t always pay attention.

Sunshineonleaf Sun 09-Dec-18 09:21:12

No idea about Phd but my DS is an NQT and did his PGCE last year.
He was in school from 7.30am until 6pm every day, worked at home 2-3 hours every evening and all day Sunday.
This year his workload is even greater.
Many of the trainees with families dropped out, such was the amount of work involved.
Try posting on The Staffroom topic

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in