Talk

Advanced search

Oxford Interview advice needed

(5 Posts)
jojosholt Sat 24-Nov-18 11:02:00

Entirely unexpectedly, DD has got an interview at Oxford for English. I have no idea how to help her prepare and was wondering if anyone had any advice, thank you so much!

OP’s posts: |
Bekabeech Sat 24-Nov-18 11:21:59

Look at the Oxford Website.
Don't panic! There are plenty of "helpers" to guide you while you are there, and they won't report back on "whether you use a knife and fork to eat a banana" or anything else. The questions will ask her to think outside the box, but they want to see how she thinks - and if she loves her subject.
Comfortable shoes and clothes. The Porters can seem scary but are generally lovely, and can solve a lot of problems (they see a lot of students locked out of their rooms).

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 24-Nov-18 11:40:09

She doesn't really need to prepare, so make sure she's calm about that.

It's probably a good idea for her to re-read her personal statement shortly beforehand (just because it's often used as a conversation starter).

It's as much about her getting a sense of whether she'd enjoy working with these people as it is the other way around, too.

cathyandclare Sun 25-Nov-18 09:15:12

Read through any books she mentioned on her personal statement. Good luck!

BubblesBuddy Sun 25-Nov-18 10:53:21

I faced this exact dilemma a few years ago. I didn’t know MN existed. DDs school were next to useless as they didn’t think she should have applied in the first place.

So, if it’s unexpected, try and talk about answering confidently. They will ask her to explore her answers in greater depth. Essentially have a conversation and they want to know how she thinks and if she responds to their way of teaching. The interview is a bit like a tutorial.

My DDs subject wasn’t English but had a strong literature component. It’s important to go over the personal statement, as pointed out above, but engaging with the lecturers means a great deal and she needs to be able to explain her thoughts in a coherent way. They will challenge her but that’s to find out how she engages at greater depth with the subject.

Wear what clothes she feels comfortable in and try and settle into the surroundings. Have a look around and talk to other applicants. There will be a few super confident types, but there will be other slightly apprehensive individuals too. The most important advice - be yourself!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »