(30 Posts)
MoseShrute Fri 19-Oct-18 17:36:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
MoseShrute Fri 19-Oct-18 17:38:04

bestofme21 Fri 19-Oct-18 17:48:09

My son has also applied to Cambridge to read maths. The colleges we visited said the offers for interviews will go out in November and the interviews will be held the first three weeks in December.

Have they applied to the same universities? Remember the UCAS deadline is mid January 2019 for most universities so maybe the universities have not looked at the applications yet?

So far my son has had acknowledgements from all the universities. Had one offer with an invite to attend an interview/visit. And one invitation to attend an interview. He has not heard from the other three, including Cambridge. We know one of the other two will ask for an interview first and the other will not.

Unfortunately it is a waiting game and looking at your DS's achievements I am sure he will get a mixture of interviews and offers.

MoseShrute Fri 19-Oct-18 17:55:29

bestofme21 Fri 19-Oct-18 18:17:34

My son applied to Durham too and no one at his school has heard anything from them other than an acknowledgement they have received his application.

It does seem odd his friend has heard and another hasn't but they will have had a huge number of applications so may still be sifting.

Try not to panic or read too much into things. Your DS will pick up on your worries and work himself up too.

PantTwizzler Fri 19-Oct-18 18:18:58

Nothing here and Durham is on the list.

bestofme21 Fri 19-Oct-18 18:22:15

The deadline for priority applications was Monday just gone so with the large number of applications it will take time to hear back.

Malbecfan Fri 19-Oct-18 20:22:34

Not engineering but DD2 applied to Durham and other than an acknowledgement, nothing. Don't worry, it's still really early

MoseShrute Fri 19-Oct-18 21:03:51

Jano69 Fri 19-Oct-18 21:57:56

DS was panicking that everyone had received offers apart from him. Today, he got an offer from Bristol for AAA. Durham and Cambridge are the biggies but don't expect to hear from them in ages.

Witchend Fri 19-Oct-18 23:55:36

Are you sure it's an offer not an acknowledgement from Durham? Durham apparently is notoriously late usually and I haven't heard of anyone getting anything from them yet.

2tfrutti Sat 20-Oct-18 17:45:05

dS received an offer from Durham a few days ago (Economics) but this was about three weeks after his application went in. a few days before that he had had a message saying that for many courses they would wait for some time to make any offers at all. So don't panic just yet 

RedHelenB Sat 20-Oct-18 19:16:52

Dd not got any offers yet either.

CornflakeMum Sat 20-Oct-18 19:33:03

When DS applied to Durham, his friend with slightly higher grades in GCSES got an offer straight away, but DS didn't hear until Feb for his offer (which was the same). Your DS's friend may just have been fortunate to be selected by his chosen college as a 'definite' and given an early offer.

jaguar67 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:42:47

No offers here yet for DD either - although Loughborough managed to set hearts racing on Tuesday by sending a bulk 'Congrats on your offer, now arrange a visit' email - turns out was sent in error to a whole bunch of applicants and was withdrawn the following day !
DD also keen to hear from Durham (Geog) - she's glad now to be on half-term and able to avoid constant questioning at school.

goodbyestranger Sun 21-Oct-18 13:37:23

Cornflake the offer is from the department only, college is irrelevant.

Early offers from Durham vary enormously according to department; early science offers are very common before Christmas, early History ones (for UK pre A level students) very rare.

OP it may well be those three Bs which are making the difference in the early offer stakes, or it may just be the volume of (Oxbridge) applications currently pouring into the Durham engineering dept and that your DS's happens to be 100th in line rather than at the top of the pile. A day or two's difference in pressing the UCAS send button can make that difference. Give it a few weeks before drawing conclusions.

MoseShrute Sun 21-Oct-18 13:45:23

goodbyestranger Sun 21-Oct-18 14:25:51

I think your DS took too many GCSEs! His 8A* and 2A mean he's clearly very capable and obviously his predictions are excellent, as is his summertime result. The issue isn't really about his capability but about the fact that some departments like to see a clean sweep of A*/A for the early offers. But it could as easily be that he's some way behind in the pile of applications to be screened. It's way way too soon to think the Bs will mean he doesn't get offers from his top choices - his grades are easily good enough for Durham. Who pressed send first?

MoseShrute Sun 21-Oct-18 15:47:36

lifebegins50 Sun 21-Oct-18 15:55:03

The reference might also make a difference.

Don't worry, the offers will definitely come and I don't think his choices are over ambitious.

Does he have a preference?

MoseShrute Sun 21-Oct-18 16:53:22

MoseShrute Sun 21-Oct-18 16:54:37

goodbyestranger Sun 21-Oct-18 20:01:37

On the reference front, Durham is one of the universities which specifies that if extra time is given at GSCE for a SpLD, then no further mitigation can be given. I suppose that means that even if the school mentions your DS's difficulties in the reference, they still regard the Bs as Bs if that makes sense - unless his dyslexia was diagnosed post GCSE and wasn't taken into account at that stage.

MoseShrute Sun 21-Oct-18 20:07:19

goodbyestranger Sun 21-Oct-18 21:20:14

Oxford certainly is and therefore if those two are I'd expect others to follow the same policy, but I couldn't say for sure which take that approach, that SpLDs can't be 'accounted for' twice. But honestly, his grades are really good on any objective basis - he'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »