Applying for uni with an EHCP

(4 Posts)
notaflyingmonkey Sun 14-Oct-18 10:53:58

DS will be doing his uni application soon. But as he has an EHCP (ASD) I was wondering if there is something in addition that he will need to do in support of his application? For example, do we need to contact the unis that he wants to go to seperately? Also, when we applied for secondary school places, his statement meant he was guaranteed a place, are any provisions like that made for uni entrance, or is it purely on grades?

OP’s posts: |
LIZS Sun 14-Oct-18 11:03:17

An EHCP does not apply to uni applications, entry is by grades although there may be some discretion. When he applies for Student Finance there is a box to tick for DSA which triggers a process of assessment and support through the uni's Disability Support Service, including a Needs Assessment. When he firms his choice he can contact the relevant uni direct to discuss any adjustments such as priority for quieter accommodation. Iirc there is a box on the UCAS application to indicate additional needs too.

TooMuchEyeliner Sun 14-Oct-18 11:06:48

The EHCP will stop once your DS goes to uni, it is only for school and college. Unis have different types of support they can offer though and there are grants that your DS can apply for like the disabled students grant and special support grant. I would suggest speaking to each uni he plans to apply for about how they could support him.

notaflyingmonkey Sun 14-Oct-18 13:19:55

Thats really helpful, thank you both for your responses.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in