Talk

Advanced search

Anybody done a dissertation or similar with baby in tow?

(3 Posts)
merlotmummy14 Sat 13-Oct-18 20:47:22

Looking for support or ideas on how to balance it all. In final year of BA and just put 6 month old to bed for the night so I can work on my dissertation proposal and feeling overwhelmed by the workload. Have been to library for resources and met my dissertation advisor twice already who is extremely nice and supportive of my situation. I have great in laws who take DD Monday afternoon through Tuesday evening, and DD has a Thursday and a Friday at childminders (but as I have timetabled classes it works out only Monday evening, Tuesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon for free study without baby). DP takes her out Saturday morning so I can get work on it done but feel like half the time I end up pottering around doing housework. Has anybody got experience of it? How did they manage?

OP’s posts: |
Camomila Wed 17-Oct-18 17:06:49

In a similar boat...I'm in the 2nd year of a part time MSc (dissertation this year) with a 2.5 year old. I also work p/t.
I have just accepted I am going to have to have no spare time this year grin

I have lots of mates that have either finished uni or started PhDs with DC in tow though. I find that very reassuring.

Practical advice, I plan everything in a paper diary/ break my day up into hour blocks.

Spasm0dic Fri 26-Oct-18 00:11:24

I’m in a vaguely similar position. I work full time and have a primary school child. I think once they are in bed, rather than chilling or more likely sleeping, take a few hours each evening to study. It takes determination and you may feel like you can’t do it but have faith in yourself and plod on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »