open university degree/diploma in childcare/early years??

(9 Posts)
purple8dragon Fri 31-Aug-18 15:36:47

Im looking into getting into childcare, i was going to do part time college but would have to fund that myself, and even though this would cost more (open uni)it would be a higher qualification and i would be able to get a loan .

That being said, does anyone know how a childcare qualification would work through distance learning?

I cant see anything about a placement but surely you cant get a childcare / early years qualification without actually dealing with real children?

any help/ advice would be very gratefully recieved x

OP’s posts: |
Holidayshopping Fri 31-Aug-18 15:42:32

What sort of childcare do you mean?

I wouldn't recommend getting tens of thousands pounds in debt to get a degree and then go and work as a childminder/TA as you don’t need a degree for that, and you will be on a very low hourly wage which wouldn’t make sense financially. If you want to teach, that’s a different matter.

The new TA we have taken on in our reception class has done a course with the local college and has done weekly placements with a nursery-is that viable?

purple8dragon Fri 31-Aug-18 16:14:30

you're probably right. im just so skint at the moment and want to feel like im working towards something. Ill have another look at the payment options for the college course. ive been out of work for 5 years so I think im just scared of going out into the real world and doing a distance learning course lets me hide behind my computer for a while blush

OP’s posts: |
nibblingandbiting Fri 31-Aug-18 16:29:24

If you want to work with children, then start applying for jobs. Depending on where you end up, some employers will pay for qualifications. Mine paid for my ta and hlta qualifications and other relevant educational things. Had I stayed they would have also funded my teaching qualifications.

With the OU read about all the modules for the relevant degree as some do require either experience or placement.

AlwaysColdHands Fri 31-Aug-18 16:36:08

Dont start a degree to get into childcare. Get experience, do college courses. If you manage to get a job in the sector, your employer might find some further training/qualifications for you.
Best of luck x

Holidayshopping Fri 31-Aug-18 16:49:15

I can’t imagine any course worth its salt will allow you to hide behind a computer though!

Marmie4 Fri 31-Aug-18 20:05:12

I did my NVQ Level 3 in early years through the local college, this seems to be the qualification most schools want. Mine was actually funded at the time so it's worth looking into. (I then did the Level 4 which was also funded.) I did it over 2 years and I hadn't studied for years, I was fine with it and really enjoyed it. Good luck.


nellyolsenscurl Fri 31-Aug-18 21:18:48

The OU one IIRC is BA Childhood and Youth Studies and whilst is a degree does not 'analyst's you to work with children. If you want to work in a nursery an NVQ is probably better.

nellyolsenscurl Fri 31-Aug-18 21:19:44

Qualify, not analyst's hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in