Prescription charges help.

(10 Posts)
WhirlyGigWhirlyGig Mon 27-Aug-18 17:31:52

Just wondering if a child is able to get any help with prescription charges when at university?

Mine seems to be getting more and more meds added to her scrips and I was going to set up a prepayment card for her but it occurred to me, can they get any financial help at all?

OP’s posts: |
premiertav Mon 27-Aug-18 17:43:35

Children don't go to university?

dementedpixie Mon 27-Aug-18 17:58:51 info here. Depends on income. You could also buy a prepayment certificate

flopsyrabbit1 Sat 01-Sep-18 18:25:00

does anybody know if your at Uni and you have £2k in savings and get full ML (not working( if you apply for a HC1 will you get help?

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 01-Sep-18 19:45:01

The savings are well under the limit. It doesn't just depend on income but also expenses. So hall fees or rent and whether that covers bills and food will all affect the amount of help you get

flopsyrabbit1 Sat 01-Sep-18 20:15:44

ah thanks yes will be in Halls sc and thats £130 a week to start

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 01-Sep-18 22:36:28

There are online calculators but it is quite complicated so it is probably best just to apply. They can only say no.
Also although prescriptions are a straightforward you qualify or you don't, you may still get help with dental and optical charges and fares to hospital even if you don't get free prescriptions.


flopsyrabbit1 Sat 01-Sep-18 23:28:59


Au79 Sat 01-Sep-18 23:42:59

Maybe you could get a prepayment certificate as well, I think it saves some money in the long run. There are leaflets about it in Boots for example. maybe ask in the chemist for advice on what forms and how best to fill them in.

WhirlyGigWhirlyGig Sun 02-Sep-18 08:47:10

Sorry I'd forgotten this. I got so confused I ended up just setting up a ppc for her. I'll pay the dd though.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in