Paying for prescriptions when at university

(12 Posts)
Yourownpersonaljesus Sat 25-Aug-18 21:08:33

Does anyone know if young people have to pay for prescriptions whilst at university? After googling I noticed that they could complete a HC1 form to see if they can get help. One of the question ask about work and requires payslips to be provided. DD will be getting a job but won't have payslips straight away. She starts university next month and has a number of items on repeat prescription that she gets monthly. For the past year she has had a yearly prepayment certificate that saves a lot of money but still costs over £100. I was wondering if anyone has DC at uni now and knows what the situation is. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 25-Aug-18 21:14:50

My Ds at Uni-had a torrid year with glandular fever and tonsillitis and I didn't realise he was paying- I thought it was free if in full time education but it's not it's up to age 18-but this is only if you're in England I think..
When I was picking up his inhaler yesterday lovely chemist told me there is something you can apply for to cover-not completely but to help.
Am going to look into it for sure as he spent a fortune last year!!

Yourownpersonaljesus Sat 25-Aug-18 21:21:48

Thanks for the reply mumsie. Your poor son. I reckon it must be the HC1 form your chemist was talking about. It should be free if they are in full time education. If my daughter had to pay for her prescriptions each month it would cost her nearly £30!!!

OP’s posts: |
TheThirdOfHerName Sat 25-Aug-18 21:49:54

If they are in full-time education, prescriptions should be free until the day before their 19th birthday.

Then after that they need to complete an HC1 form to get a certificate which gives them reduced prescription costs.

TheThirdOfHerName Sat 25-Aug-18 21:51:57

The form is available here

Hoozz Sat 25-Aug-18 21:53:24

The HC1 is means tested though. They want to know about money from parents as well as student loan.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 25-Aug-18 21:54:12

I reckon more-he is having to repeat the year-absolute nightmare and he was busy trying to be stoic at the other end of the country so I didn't know just how awful it was for too long sad
Obviously I am proud that he was independent but you can actually ask for help when you need it!
Thanks for info-am going to set him on it.
Good luck to your DD. flowers


Yourownpersonaljesus Sat 25-Aug-18 21:57:00

Thanks for the further replies. DD is 19 already btw. I won't be able to give her any money so I guess she just won't fill that section in.

OP’s posts: |
Yourownpersonaljesus Sat 25-Aug-18 22:00:09

Thanks mumsie. That's awful about your son. Hope he is okay now.

OP’s posts: |
mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 25-Aug-18 22:12:33

I'd hope that because you can't give her any money that she gets the full amount-I think because we can afford it hopefully I won't suggest he gets anything.
And thank you for asking-hopefully DS ok now-tonsils out. Onwards and upwards. And gin

MaderiaCycle Sat 25-Aug-18 22:14:36

Apply for HC1. I got it when I was at uni - do it before she gets a job and she won't need to send payslips. Unlikely it would tip her over anyway.

Yourownpersonaljesus Sat 25-Aug-18 22:30:34

Thanks everyone. Will get her to complete the form when she starts.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in