Talk

Advanced search

Don't Understand Clearing - Help!

(16 Posts)
FreedaDonkey Wed 22-Aug-18 10:28:09

If you're on Facebook there's a really good uni group with lots of parents and students, all very supportive.

I think there are people on there waiting for remarks, or to hear from different unis. It's v stressful.

It's https://m.facebook.com/groups/488235648182391

Stressedoverkids Wed 22-Aug-18 10:16:58

DulcetMoans she is a grade short. We have asked them to consider exceptional circumstances. I just didn't expect it to take so long.

DulcetMoans Wed 22-Aug-18 08:58:24

Is she awaiting another grade? Like a GCSE or maybe something like a DVD check?

I can't understanding why she wouldn't have a decision if she has the qualification results she was asked for with the conditional offer.

Stressedoverkids Tue 21-Aug-18 17:53:00

Thanks @Icequeen01

I still haven't heard back they emailed yesterday to say it was being considered.

Really would love to be able to celebrate with Dd just how well she has done.

I am finding the whole thing so demoralising!

Icequeen01 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:36:44

That's really tough and I totally understand about being restricted to one university. Although my DS doesn't have the difficulties your daughter has he always said that he would only go to university if he was able to stay living at home as the social side of university does not appeal to him at all and he is just like me in that he is a "home" boy. We are lucky in that there are two local universities within travelling distance for him. Had he not had that he would not have gone to university and I think would have gone down the apprenticeship route.

It sounds as though your DD has done incredibly well and should feel very proud of herself. It seems so unfair that there is only one person that can make a decision about a place and I can't believe they are on holiday during this time.

I will keep everything crossed for you. Don't give up hope just yet.

OP’s posts: |
Stressedoverkids Sun 19-Aug-18 09:21:50

Yes it is incredibly stressful but we have asked the University to consider her exceptional circumstances.

The person who has the final decision is on holiday hmm

The person we were speaking to more or less said it was highly unlikely but that they would forward the request.

This is the only course she could do and live at home so although there are courses in clearing that would take her they aren't suitable for her.

She is very young for her age though so another year won't matter in the long run.

Icequeen01 Sun 19-Aug-18 06:39:18

How utterly awful for your poor daughter@Stressedoverkids. It
must be torture for her especially as she only missed it by one grade. Has she phoned the university again? Could it be an admin error?

It was so difficult when my DS decided he wanted to wait until he had heard from his first choice as there was always the worry that he would wait too long and lose his second place.

I can honestly say that Thursday will go down as one of the most horrible days ever. To watch my DS look so crushed when he came out with his results will live with me for a long time. One of his subjects he was predicted an A and he was a solid A student in that subject from the time he started the course and he got a C. To say he/us/the teachers were shocked is an understatement. We checked his mark in case it was worth having it remarked and it wasnt. So awful when I know he worked so hard.

Fingers crossed that your daughter hears something tomorrow.

OP’s posts: |
DulcetMoans Sat 18-Aug-18 21:26:19

Glad it worked out!

Unless they are waiting on other conditions likea DBS check or a GCSE results I think the institution that you are holding an offer with has an obligation to tell the student what is happening. All decisions with an institution for results that are available are meant to be processed by the Weds afternoon. It is really naughty to 'hold' students pending clearing applications. If you are disgruntled enough I would tell UCAS...!

Stressedoverkids Sat 18-Aug-18 20:40:53

Lovely update Icequeen01

Still in limbo here as first choice still not let Dd know.

I think she has resigned herself to going back to repeat.

I am so angry for her. She has Aspergers and dyslexia and is one grade short.

Icequeen01 Sat 18-Aug-18 20:11:05

We did! Thank you for asking.

In the end my DS decided to hang on until he had a definitive
answer from his first choice. He finally heard from them yesterday morning and they offered him a different course. Unfortunately, the course wasn’t what my son wanted so he declined it.

He has now gone with his second choice and is very happy. Initially he was very reluctant as he had his heart set on his first choice and was still reeling from the fact he didn’t get his grades. Luckily by yesterday afternoon he had come to terms with everything and had even found himself a part time job which will fit around Uni. He is now one happy young man.

Phew! 😄

OP’s posts: |
Movablefeast Sat 18-Aug-18 19:27:34

Icequeen did you get a resolution on your DS's situation?

Icequeen01 Thu 16-Aug-18 15:30:37

1st choice have just said they don't know when he is likely to get a decision but they are working as quickly as they can. I've just asked DS if he wants to turn down 1st choice and go for 2nd choice but he wants to hold on. I hate this!!

OP’s posts: |
Icequeen01 Thu 16-Aug-18 15:24:36

He's on the phone to first choice now to see if they will give him an answer one way or another!

OP’s posts: |
Icequeen01 Thu 16-Aug-18 15:22:09

No the first choice haven't responded with anything yet. That's why we are anxious. The person my DS spoke to at his second choice said they would offer him a space but he is trying to get onto ucas now but it's not letting himangry

OP’s posts: |
PilarTernera Thu 16-Aug-18 15:16:29

Have the first choice turned him down or not?

If he wants to take control, he could decline the first choice offer, go into clearing and than accept the second university.

As it is after 3pm, I hope he is back on the phone now sorting it all out. brew

Icequeen01 Thu 16-Aug-18 14:54:25

Ok this is probably a bit of an unusual one but as parents who have never been to university we are a bit lost.

DS is a "home boy" who decided that he would only apply to our local university where he desperately wanted to do a Business Management Degree. He received a conditional offer of BBB. Unfortunately, his results this morning were well under his predicted grades. He had not heard anything from his chosen university about his place so he phoned them this morning. They just advised him to keep checking on ucas throughout the day.

In the meantime he has found another business management degree, also in a local university he could travel to (not as good) and they have offered him a place and said it will go into clearing at 3pm.

Unfortunately neither my DH or I ever went to university and this is all a bit of an unknown area for us. Also I am concerned that my DS is not taking everything in as he is still very upset about his grades and when I ask him what he was told he seems unclear.

What happens at 3pm? Will he be able to wait until his first choice has responded but presumably that will mean he will lose the chance on the course with the second university?

I am sorry if I sound a bit clueless but I am gutted for DS and honestly can't think straight at the moment.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in