Talk

Advanced search

Ucas Tariff

(9 Posts)
NeaterBonita Sat 11-Aug-18 10:33:35

While looking on unistats I noticed that for Oxbridge courses at least 25% of students have 240+ UCAS points. That's the equivalent of more than 4 A stars at Alevel! Do they count AS levels to reach this figure?

laairventte Sat 11-Aug-18 10:39:00

Yes they do count AS levels, only if not carried on to A-level.
Other things such as musical instrument grades, singing, etc count for UCAS points too. (Only once you’ve reached a high grade).

Some of the super high UCAS point tariffs, can be put down to people who study the IB and other sorts of qualifications. It’s not a perfect system and so they come back as much higher than A level grades.

BringOnTheScience Sat 11-Aug-18 13:11:42

High scores in the IB take a student well over 300 UCAS points.

A grade 8 on an instrument is 30 points.

Common misconceptions are that DofE Gold and Queen's/Scout count - they don't.

Needmoresleep Sat 11-Aug-18 13:35:12

It is not unusual for science students to take five, usually including double maths. (Both dc did, as did several of their friends, some of whom went on to Oxbridge.) And many bilinguals take their other language as an extra.

Xenia Sat 11-Aug-18 13:58:07

I think there has just been a major change in the points for each grade - my son and I noticed it the other day. What is the equivalent of AAA required for some jobs seemed to have doubled until we realised the rules had changed but the grade requirements stayed the same.

Needmoresleep Sat 11-Aug-18 14:19:16

Having more than 3 A levels does not help at all in terms of getting a University place. Despite top grade predictions mine only received 2 offers each. However you only need one place and the broader knowledge helped when they started.

user2222018 Sun 12-Aug-18 13:01:30

It is not unusual for science students to take five, usually including double maths.

It is unusual, and has always been so, outside the top private schools. It has become much more unusual with A level reform. A levels in 2018 are not comparable with those 3 or 4 years ago.

Needmoresleep Sun 12-Aug-18 21:43:07

It depends on which years historic data op is looking at. I was trying to suggest reasons why average UCAS points might be high.

Top students at top academic schools might well have that number of UCAS points. Such students are well represented at Oxbridge.

NeaterBonita Sun 12-Aug-18 22:32:10

I have just found this document which lists the UCAS Tariff for all qualifications.
https://www.ucas.com/file/63541/download?token=uz826-Cb

Easier to see how they could add up to 240 + especially for someone doing IB.

The data on unistats is taken from 2014-2016, but using new point system.

The data published

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: