Talk

Advanced search

Undergraduate/postgraduate loans - do you repay them back together or separately?

(9 Posts)
fearfultrill Tue 07-Aug-18 21:39:50

I have an undergraduate degree and a student debt. I am about to undertake a master's degree with the OU and am entitled to a postgraduate loan from the Student Loans Company. What I want to know is - when I come to pay back the postgraduate loan, is it simply 'on top' of the undergraduate one? So my student loan payments will continue to be be the same just with a higher total?

Or will two student loan payments be taken per month - my current undergraduate one and a separate postgraduate one?

Sorry if that's confusing!

OP’s posts: |
fearfultrill Wed 08-Aug-18 08:50:44

Anyone?

Hizz Wed 08-Aug-18 13:17:11

DS is considering a Masters and I looked into it for him. It seems the Master's loan is repaid concurrently in his case. His is a post 2012 ug loan so may be different for older loans.

titchy Wed 08-Aug-18 15:28:51

Yep both taken together. So you could be paying 6% for your UG plus 9% for your PG, 15% altogether.

Hizz Wed 08-Aug-18 15:38:12

A good reason to do an integrated masters.
<looks at DS>

fearfultrill Wed 08-Aug-18 15:41:48

Thanks! It was started in 2012.

Lots to think about!

titchy Wed 08-Aug-18 16:14:12

* good reason to do an integrated masters.*

And you get both fees and maintenance loan with integrated. <looks at dd>

Hizz Wed 08-Aug-18 17:05:04

titchy Ha ha yes. DS is about to start year 3 of his course and still has time to convert it to an integrated masters. However he would prefer to go somewhere else for a change of scenery to experience a different uni.

Harken53rig Wed 08-Aug-18 17:09:38

It is on top in my case. Next year I will be still paying last year of my UG loan, paying back my PG loan and still paying tuition fees for Masters I have not finished. And my DS needs a new boat...

This was NOT good planning! 2019 is going to be frugal and involve many baked beans.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »