Talk

Advanced search

Open Degree from OU and credit transfer - "finishing off" degree from red brick after dropping out?

(8 Posts)
Barumbarum Tue 24-Jul-18 21:16:06

Sorry about the clunky title, but hoping someone with OU knowledge and experience may be able to help. I completed two full years of a languages degree in 2010 but dropped out as I was not enjoying it at all. I have young children so work part time at the moment, but would really like to improve my prospects by finishing the full degree. I have six years' retail/hospitality management experience and have done a lot of HR type stuff around inductions, disciplinaries etc. so would like to move into HR/admin when my children are at school.

I see the OU do an Open degree which allows credit transfer of up to 240 credits. This appeals a bit more to me now as I would like a more business-related path of study, and am not keen on another full three years of study towards a business degree. I would like to choose two or three business modules which I hope would help my basic business knowledge.

If they did allow me to transfer enough credits to only have to complete one year's study, does anyone know how "well regarded" this would be to employers? Could I potentially look at graduate schemes with it? It would cost less than £2000 to complete if it's just the one year, so seems far more appealing than any other options! There just seems to.be so much competition these days and most admin/office/HR jobs seem to be going to people with paper qualifications, even though I cover a lot of the basics with my job.

OP’s posts: |
thesandwich Wed 25-Jul-18 22:08:17

I can’t help with ou stuff but have you considered cipd qualifications? Vrelevant to what you do now. Might your employer sponsor you?

Barumbarum Thu 26-Jul-18 09:11:11

Thanks for the response. I had looked into the CIPD but was a bit overwhelmed with all the different options and varying fees in different places. My company have actually offered for me to have a look around the HR department at head office for a couple of days but I can't imagine them contributing financially. They do have some HR courses they send area managers on but given that I'm part time I can't get any further than my current management role unfortunately.

OddBoots Thu 26-Jul-18 09:17:22

Your current credits would (I assume) be at level 1 and level 2, to complete the degree you will need to study level 3 modules. Have you looked to see if the OU will let you study business at Level 3? Often there are pre-requirements to do the level 3 modules as they build on what has already been taught.

The OU are really helpful at talking you through things so I would advise giving them a call, you may be able to transfer some of credit for the level 1 and 2 and study 60 credits of business at each level as a compromise, they will give you the options.

thesandwich Thu 26-Jul-18 09:55:06

Contact the Cipd- worth a chat. There are lots of providers- also worth looking at joining your local branch as an affiliate for good training/ networking opportunities.

Barumbarum Thu 26-Jul-18 10:15:37

Thanks both, I'll have a call around and see what my options are. Hoping I haven't forgotten how to study after almost ten years!

Feb2018mumma Thu 26-Jul-18 10:17:24

I did an open degree, making a diploma in nursing am open degree in two years, got a first and all graduate schemes seem to like the grade more than subject so yes definitely worth it smile

Barumbarum Thu 26-Jul-18 10:33:49

Ah thank you for letting me know it's a possibility. And well done!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »