Student finance supporting son query

(13 Posts)
Joto369 Sat 07-Jul-18 13:07:48

Hi all. My son (23) starts Uni in Sept. I've been asked for financial proof for 16/17 and 17/18 no problem. I recently separated but everything legal is still in my married name though I use my maiden name for everyday including the application - didn't think anything of it. They want proof of separation which I'm guessing will be a sols letter (No intention of divorcing as cant afford it) but what I don't understand is they want proof I'm separated for now yet the time frame they want the income from is when we were together. Is it just me or does that make absolutely no sense!

OP’s posts: |
titchy Sat 07-Jul-18 15:53:03

If your son is 23 he should be classed as an independent student surely? Meaning he'd be assessed on his own income only.

argumentativefeminist Sat 07-Jul-18 15:58:00

Could it be because your name on the application and your name on the financial evidence might be different? It's worth doing a current year income assessment if your household income is significantly lower since the separation btw.

argumentativefeminist Sat 07-Jul-18 15:59:49

Independent student based on age is 25+

Joto369 Sat 07-Jul-18 16:14:30

Thanks Yes it's 25 which also baffles me as he's been living away from home and working since he was 19! Income is not much lower as my ex is a student nurse and even when both together was less than the 35k limit. I guess I don't get why the fact I'm separated is relevant when this year's income isn't in question! I told them about the name change from the start. It is what it is but it certainly isn't logical!

OP’s posts: |
argumentativefeminist Sat 07-Jul-18 16:21:46

Student Finance is never, ever logical 😂 my policy is I just do whatever they say even if it sounds stupid, and then I get the money eventually. Its frustrating but there's no use asking them, they'll explain it very politely and nicely, the call centre staff are very nice, but I still don't understand it 😂

Joto369 Sat 07-Jul-18 16:31:45

Thanks argumentativefeminist. I like your thought process! Thankfully in year 2 he'll be 25 so then he is classed as self sufficient!

OP’s posts: |


GasLightShining Thu 12-Jul-18 13:31:32

My daughter is the same age and has just finished her first year. Her application has been as self supporting. She doesn't live at home and has worked full-time for the last 3/4 years.

We are having problems with son's application. Won't accept DH's P45.

HSMMaCM Sun 22-Jul-18 10:43:55

If he has been self supporting for 2 years I think he can be classed as 'estranged' from his parents by student finance and your income won't be taken into account.

HSMMaCM Sun 22-Jul-18 10:45:05

I think it says 3 years on here

PipeTheFuckDown Sun 22-Jul-18 10:46:17

He needs to apply as an independent student. I’m 31 and have had to fill out the form despite having my own children and living alone for well over a decade. Student finance were very helpful on the phone

mumeeee Tue 24-Jul-18 16:56:42

OP if your son has been living away from home since he was 19.He needs to apply as an independent student.
Its only 25 if a young person is still living at home.

Joto369 Wed 21-Nov-18 05:31:39

Thought I'd update this with what happened in case anyone is in a similar situation. In terms of my separation they accepted a tenancy agreement in my married name only and two bills in my maiden name. In terms of my son, even if they have moved back home for a short period after being self supporting for a number of years, they are classed as dependent if under 25.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in