Second degree

(4 Posts)
Cmblue Mon 14-May-18 11:51:25

Hi I already have a degree in public and emergency services but am hoping to back to university to complete a degree in nursing does any one know if I will qualify for a student loan? I'm a single parent located in Wales.

OP’s posts: |
Skiiltan Mon 14-May-18 12:22:16

I don't know the rules in Wales, sorry. In England, nursing & midwifery - and other allied health professions degree programmes - are specifically excluded from the general rule that no loans are avaiable for second degrees. See the "Previous study" section on page 2 of the Student Finance England brochure at This is specific to England, though. I'm not sure where you can find the relevant information for Wales.

Jessicabrassica Mon 14-May-18 12:26:44

Wales have just agreed to continue student bursaries for AHPs (so probably nursing too) and loans were certainly available a couple of years ago for students doing second degrees in health care. Between bursary and tax credits (and living very cheaply) I've managed to do my degree without a loan.

Cmblue Mon 14-May-18 20:01:04

Thank-you both so much for your help this has given me hope now.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in