Talk

Advanced search

LOOKING FOR ADVICE AND INFO Midwifes who studied in Wales :)

(5 Posts)
Sardi28 Thu 03-May-18 06:56:59

Hi
I'm trying to decide whether to take an opportunity to train as a midwife. I live in Wales and I've been doing a lot of research into the degree and the support available financially. I am 31 with a 2 year old son and married.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who made the decision to study in their 30s to become a midwife in Wales, and if you can give me some advice and information on how you managed financially please. As it is not very clear how much support I would get. I am attending an open day in June too , so hoping to get more info there too.

For example were you able to work along side completing your studies?

Thanks in advance xx

OP’s posts: |
RedHelenB Sat 05-May-18 22:49:47

Not in Wales but a friend did it with children and couldn't work because of full days at uni and hospital shifts. They had to perform so many births to qualify so had to do extra at hospital too. She did however get the bursary when she studied plus the student loan and child tax credits.

Sardi28 Sun 06-May-18 20:01:48

Thanks for this x

OP’s posts: |
WLmum Sun 13-May-18 09:11:40

Hello, not in Wales but I'm looking into retraining as a midwife too. Ha e you spoken to a uni and student finance? They were very helpful to me. Looks like I'd be able to borrow (lucky me!) tuition fees and approx £8k per year maintenance. There are a couple of separate elements you can apply for too as you have children (I have 3!) but not sure if it just pays out or if you have to prove childcare costs etc.
I too would be grateful for advice from anyone who has retrained.

WLmum Sun 13-May-18 09:26:37

I'd also love some words of encouragement from people who have left much better paid work behind to retrain in something more fulfilling!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in