Leaving Uni and Student Finance - Help

(6 Posts)
Waspsarewankers Mon 19-Mar-18 16:30:41

DS has decided he wants to leave his degree course at UOB. He is in his first year.
He is about the break up for Easter leave and desperately trying to find out what effect/ implications are in reflect of student finance.
I'm very cross at how difficult it has been for any factual information to be made available.
He has called UOB Student Finance section and literally been fobbed off. He went to a student hub and got fobbed off with a useless email address.
He is a Welsh student too so needs/wants to understand what happens regarding the Welsh grants. He called Student Finance Wales twice to be told they can't tell him anything until he has definstely left the course.
To leave the course he needs to complete a series of forms - one declaring he FULLY understands ALL of the financial implications leaving the course Will result in. Except this information does not seem available anywhere.
He has gone through all the correct channels, had meeting with personal tutor etc. There is no going back. He needs to leave for his well being but we need to know facts too. Judy basic stuff like are the Welsh grants paid back now or once earning excess of £25k like the main element? Will leaving at Easter save any money/debt? Will he be made to leave uni accommodation although fully paid until end of this academic year? Will he get a refund? It's not exact figures we want just facts as yo what element gets paid back when kind of thing. Will it affect future student loans if he chooses another degree and uni in a year or 2?
Can anyone help or advise please or suggest contacts so he/we can discuss further because we both seem to be hitting brick walls.

OP’s posts: |
hellsbells99 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:24:26

Hi Op. I hope your DS is okay. He will be liable for 50% fees if he drops out now (and not the full year). www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/pgt/pgt-fees/pay-tuition/Tuition-Fee-Liability.aspx

hellsbells99 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:39:03

This link has some information on regarding his accommodation.
I don't know anything about Welsh grants.
My DD dropped out of her course (and fortunately her university accommodation did allow you to give a month's notice). She has gone to a different university to do a different degree. She has managed to get funding okay as you are allowed funding for a full degree plus 1 year. I think if withdrawal is because of ill-health, you may be able to get more if necessary (e.g. If withdrawing during 2nd year and then restarting).

Waspsarewankers Tue 20-Mar-18 21:11:49

Thank you so much for your reply hellsbells.
It's been a very busy 24 hours as we have tried to gather some facts. I will now take a look at your links too.
My d's seems ok but I won't rest until I get him home.

OP’s posts: |
hellsbells99 Thu 22-Mar-18 08:08:29

I hope your DS gets home okay. Lots of TLC needed but then encourage him to get some sort of job. DD got a part-time job in a shop whilst she did some self studying of another subject that she is now doing her degree in. I think she would have got more down if she'd had too much free time on her hands. At the end of the day their mental health is a lot more important than getting a degree.

TwitterThread3 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:14:24

Right, in regards to finance if he goes back to university next academic year: SFE will consider this a suspension of his studies and will not ask for immediate payment of his tuition loan/maintenance loan. They may request immediate payment otherwise - really the best people to advise you are the university’s finance department and SFE.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in