Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got unconditional from Bournemouth?

(20 Posts)
Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 15:05:56

DS1 awaiting an offer.

He's been offered unconditional from his other imo very similar choice, as long as he firms (is that the right terminology?!).

The unis are all pretty standard in what they want which for BTEC, is DMM; DS's predicteds are DDD which I think is why the other uni said yes.

DS has mates on his course applying for the same course at Bournemouth and have already been offered conditional DMM, but I don't know what their predicted are. There was a small issue with DS's UCAS application which was sorted yesterday, and they say he'll hear 'before Easter (!).

I'm hoping it'll be before then but I'm hoping even more that they might also offer unconditional, but I know some unis offer far more unconditionals that others.

Anyone know?

TIA

unfortunateevents Fri 02-Feb-18 16:23:45

Slightly off-topic but DS1 put Bournemouth on his UCAS form last year although it was his least favourite choice. We could only make a November open day and by the time it rolled round he was pretty certain he didn't want to go there so we didn't attend. His course required interview which they were happy to do by phone but a couple of minutes in it was apparently clear to both him and the interviewer that the focus of the course was not what he was looking for and the interviewer said that to him. Next day he got an unconditional offer! So on that very slim evidence I would say they possibly give lots of unconditional offers!

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 17:24:48

Interesting. Do you mind telling me the subject area?

BubblesBuddy Sat 03-Feb-18 10:37:31

Bournemouth is a recruiting univetsity, not a selecting one. They need bums on seats. Even if he slips a grade they may well still take him. Why are you so worried about getting an unconditional? He doesn’t have to be the same as his mates. He needs to keep his head down, surely? Bournemouth isn’t Oxbridge! It’s not competitive to get in.

unfortunateevents Sat 03-Feb-18 11:13:27

OP, he was interviewing for a design-related degree although I can't remember exactly the course title - maybe Industrial Design if they offer that?

Needmoresleep Sat 03-Feb-18 11:44:33

Bubbles, I may have it wrong, but some degrees at Bournemouth are very highly regarded and grade requirements can be surprisingly high.

Its not Oxbridge, but Oxbridge often does not offer the same well regarded vocational degrees. Not all applicants are Oxbridge material. But that, surely, is a good thing. And no reason why a good Bournemouth graduate should not go on to have a more successful career than someone from Oxbridge. Through the wonders of Linked In DH has spotted BU Finance grads who have made it through to senior jobs in the City via back room operations in Bournemouth. Ditto Huddersfield. I also know some very capable BU grads in areas like digital marketing.

Bournemouth has a better beach than Oxford and a better football team smile.

OP hang on in there. The fact that a course has turned out to be more competitive than expected can be a good thing should he ultimately get a place, as it will be a more selected cohort.

woodlanddreamer Sat 03-Feb-18 11:48:10

I think they give a lot of unconditionals as they do have to try & prize students away from more prestigious universities. I believe it is very well thought of for media type degrees.

BubblesBuddy Sat 03-Feb-18 12:50:33

I just meant there wasn’t the same competition for places when compared to Oxbridge. I am well aware that some “lesser” universities are very good but that doesn’t make them overly competitive to get into (if at all in some cases) and they have loads of courses in clearing.

I don’t get this angst from anyone about unconditional offers. Hardly anyone used to get them 25 years ago and then it was confined to the extra bright. Now it is to tempt fairly ordinary students to a university and that is because of the necessity for better bums on seats. Or at worst, any bums on seats.

Needmoresleep Sat 03-Feb-18 13:05:45

But Oxbridge is not a helpful comparator. And 'lesser' is unfair. I know people who teach at Bournemouth who have been at the top of their professions, and whose Masters courses attract students from all over the world. Courses not taught at Oxbridge.

Some BU courses obviously have lower entry requirements and regularly enter clearing. That said a supposed hierarchy of Oxbridge, RG, lesser, is not helpful. Not least I am surprised how often children of local business owners choose to stay at home. BU will give them the practical skills to start a career and it is not worth the extra money to go elsewhere. Ditto our BU educated solicitor gently handheld my DM through the complexities of retirement/sheltered housing leases far more effectively than a London firm might. RG is a group of research intensive Universities. Irrelevant for many.

user1471450935 Sat 03-Feb-18 16:09:04

Not Bournemouth, but our Ds has applied to three lesser universities, non are RG, doesn't have grades. Local is 75th in country and wants 112 points, other two are wanting 104 points, one is a new university ie CUScarborough, the other is 50th ranked. This is an ex poly too, higher ranked for his subject and gets Gold teaching and higher student ratings. Plus 10% more into graduate jobs then local one. Like Drayton's Ds he will get an unconiditional place if he firms the non local.
Well done Drayton's son, hope he gets the offer from Bournemouth and goes to the university he loves/wants to study at. Not everyone's kids can be high achievers, even many of those are rejected from Oxbridge.
Most of our vital public services and jobs that drive Britain's economy outside London/Westminster are staffed by graduates from BubbleBuddy's lesser universities. Maybe if less politicians/judges etc stop coming from Oxbridge Britain would be fairer/better for all
Hope your Ds has a brilliant future in front of him Draylon from another parent of a Ds applying to lesser universities

Draylon Sat 03-Feb-18 17:15:43

Thank you all for kind replies.

I am well aware that Bournemouth may not be Oxford, but that does not matter. If it's 'money' that it's all about, my bestie's DH has a Masters in computing from BU. He earns £190k p.a. as a 'well known money tranferring service's software manager.

I do sometimes wish MN could separate out private v. state, in education, elitist v. everyone else. Notice how 'Education' is page after page about where Rupert can get tutoring for his 3+, angsty comparisons of London preps by over-invested parents; and Higher Education is rather rammed with stealth boasting and unnecessary putdowns if someone's DC is <gasp> not Oxbridge.

I don't then weigh in on posts about how Hermione's anxiety and panic attacks are causing her to self-harm such is her self-doubt when surrounded by other competitive academic perfectionist young people at her top-flight uni, and so forth, so I'd appreciate it if you don't imply that 'unconditionals' are handed out like sweets to thick kids just to get 'bums on seats' in lesser universities.

I, too, am aware that a lot of gloss peddled by prestigious unis is never sighted by under-graduates, that their amazing professors are more often than not on foreign lecture tours or teaching PhD students, that the UGs aren't allowed to touch that amazing equipment etc. I'm not fooled by it, and I also know that the correlation between getting a degree from some RG unis or from lesser unis in regard to future happiness, well-being, income, really isn't that strong.

As for my 'angst' about 'unconditional offers', which bubble doesn't 'get'- well, it means that come what may, he'll get a place. It won't necessarily make him slack off his work (even 'lesser' students do have some degree of personal motivation! grin), but it takes some pressure off.

Which parent wouldn't want that?

userofthiswebsite Sat 03-Feb-18 17:33:12

I oversee my students' UCAS and there does seem to be an increase in Unconditionals being given out this year.
As I've said to 'my' kids over and over, it's about what's right for you, not what's right for your pals, or what is perceived to be 'right' by the general public.
As long as the decision is well thought out and well informed as 3 or 4 years at uni doesn't come cheap.
If an Unconditional comes your way, then yes, consider taking it but keep up with the work nonetheless as those grades will forever be on the CV.

Draylon Sat 03-Feb-18 18:07:15

website - I agree regarding snapping up an unconditional, just because it is unconditional!

DS chose 3 course at 2 unis; 2 courses being at BU where he'd really prefer to go. The other uni offered him DMM or unconditional pretty quickly, but he did have to nous to smile and say he'd wait for BU, first. I believe DS won't slack with his BTEC (as he's a AS level 'drop out' already!) even with that in the bag.

It's so hard to 'rank' unis, isn't it? As the saying goes, "if you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything"! We can all point to 1:1 astro-physics degree holders embarking on radiography degrees, and BTEC-entry holders being swept up through an company's in-house training scheme to glittering prizes.

I will readily admit that I'm more nervous about DS2 and his choices, which, despite being, as the sixth form admissions person said to him, able to undertake any A level they offer, are Graphics Central, that his degree choice wherever, won't pay the dividends that DS1's Computing might!

catslife Sat 03-Feb-18 19:52:45

You may be interested in this article about unconditional offers OP www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/admissions-we-need-more-contextual-offers-not-unconditional-offers.
I think on the Y13 threads there are several dcs with an unconditional offer from one of their choices, but no-one seems to have had this more than once iyswim.
Many graduate jobs are open to graduates of any discipline so a comparison based on potential degree subject may not be fully accurate.

BubblesBuddy Sat 03-Feb-18 21:20:43

I suggest you look at the stats on unconditional offers then. Also look at the funding problems some universities have and then look at the league tables. Most people do see there are economic necessities. Look at the league tables for Law degrees. I am sure homely Bournemouth is lovely but don’t try and say it’s a top university because it isn’t.

AramintaDePea Sun 04-Feb-18 15:49:05

Fuck the not being a top uni shit some posters are being a dick about, what a fantastic place to be a student at.

My DC got two unconditionals and we were all over the moon about it. Fingers crossed your DC gets one too

userofthiswebsite Sun 04-Feb-18 16:03:48

I have a student with 2 Uncons so it does happen. But they are more of a rarity at the more popular universities for obvious reasons.

Stringofpearls Sun 04-Feb-18 16:10:11

Bournemouth is a really good university, especially for specific subjects areas such as nursing, marketing and tv/animation type courses. No it's not red brick, however, take a look at the stats and you'll see that they have a really good rate of employment amongst students who complete their courses. I'd keep it as a serious consideration as I know several people who did degrees on core subjects at top universities who have really struggled to find work. I think the focus at Bournemouth is on practical abitlities, rather thab veing solely academic. It just depends which you'd prefer, but nowadays I'd say employability is a really important factor.

Draylon Sun 04-Feb-18 17:55:51

Thanks everyone! Fingers crossed, I'll let you know!

PersianCatLady Tue 13-Feb-18 07:44:32

BU has some of the best regarded animation degrees in the country and competition is fierce.

One of my best friends works there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now