Going back to education

(8 Posts)
em960 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:09:33

Hi, I'm a bit far off from uni at the moment, as I plan to start an access course this September.
However, I'm considering studying at a university in a different city. I dont know if it'll be possible as I have a child and on a low income...
So my question is, does anyone know if I'll be able to get student accommodation that will accept housing benefit or if I will be able to apply for a council property in my city of choice so I can study? I'm looking to studying in Liverpool.

OP’s posts: |
LegallyBrunet Thu 01-Feb-18 00:29:50

If you have a child, I doubt you'll be eligible for student accommodation. I'm in student accommodation at the minute and I have a bedroom for me, shared kitchen, two shared bathrooms and a shared toilet. It's not really a place for a child as my fellow flatmates roll in at all hours and they wouldn't have their own space. And as far as I'm aware-as I was in a similar position to you two years ago, about to start Access and claiming housing benefit- full time students cannot claim benefits. You will receive a means tested student loan instead which should cover your costs during study. Good luck smile

catslife Sat 03-Feb-18 19:37:14

I would recommend staying in your home city if you already have suitable accommodation for your family.
Liverpool is an area where universal credit has been introduced so no-one there will be claiming housing benefit as such.

RedHelenB Sun 04-Feb-18 06:28:14

Newcastle have family accommodation so I would imagine other places will have to if you enquire.

RedHelenB Sun 04-Feb-18 06:29:30

I'm not sure you'd get housing benefit though as a student.

BikeRunSki Sun 04-Feb-18 06:40:22

Students are not eligible for HB.

NerrSnerr Sun 04-Feb-18 07:10:03

I know Birmingham used to have family accommodation. I don't think you'll be eligible for HB if a full time student though.


FoofFighter Mon 05-Feb-18 09:35:40

HE full time students with children can indeed apply for housing benefit, but be aware that with the universal credit changes coming in, this might not always be the case.

Last year I claimed HB and got £10 a week towards my rent. This year, on the exact same income, I got nothing confused However I do not need to pay any council tax which helps. ATM I am entitled to claim income support over the summer break if I cannot secure a temporary summer job/accompanying childcare.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in