Talk

Advanced search

Nursing degree

(9 Posts)
ragmayo Tue 16-Jan-18 19:07:39

I want to study adult nursing at uni, am currently working as an NA. Work are on board and will support me. I'm a single mum of five, one child has Aspergers and hyperactivity and so I liase with school a lot!
Have any other parents returned to study and how did you manage? Am I being selfish/unrealistic thinking I can do it?

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 17-Jan-18 10:50:25

I think you need to look at the course because you will have early starts, weekend working and night duty. The courses are not all classroom based. Have you childcare in place that is flexible? This will be the big issue I would have thought and it is a reason why lots of nurses do not stay in nursing when they have several children, even if they have the father of the children around. Have you investigted the hours and the work pattern you would need to do?

ragmayo Wed 17-Jan-18 15:57:15

Hi, thanks for replying. I've worked as a nursing assistant in a hospital for years so currently do all those shifts. I think it's more the hours of home study/assignments concerning me rather than placements.

BubblesBuddy Wed 17-Jan-18 16:14:32

I still think you could do with some help to give you quiet time to study but if you are already covering shifts and your children are not too needy, then give it a go. You just need supreme organisational skills!

CalebWomble Thu 18-Jan-18 20:05:00

I started my nursing training when my youngest started secondary school. For the most part it wasn't too bad, but there was one period that I was on placement and was writing two essays due a fortnight apart - I pretty much did nothing but go out to work and come home and study for about 6 weeks. So that was tough, and the rest of the family had to pretty much look after themselves, but the rest of the time was much more doable. Generally whilst we were on placement we didn't have assignments, and whilst we were in college it was 2-3 days actually in, so you can cram a lot of work in in the rest of the week.

ragmayo Fri 19-Jan-18 14:42:53

Thank you @BubblesBuddy

ragmayo Fri 19-Jan-18 14:44:37

@CalebWomble thank you, my youngest are 9 year old twins so maybe I'll wait a year. I was hoping to do the nursing apprenticeship but nothings happening with that yet.
How are you finding nursing?

CalebWomble Fri 19-Jan-18 16:38:13

Loving it smile

You might want to repost in Chat/elsewhere for some more replies, because I know there are a decent number of fairly newly-qualified nurses on here, but they probably don't hang out much in higher ed.

ragmayo Sat 20-Jan-18 20:41:04

@CalebWomble glad to hear it😊Cheers for the advice, I'm new on here so no clue!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »