Talk

Advanced search

Help! DD about to drop out

(15 Posts)
underperforming Thu 04-Jan-18 23:56:59

DD was ill most of the summer and has been suffering from post-viral fatigue syndrome since starting uni in September. She loves her degree and staggered through the first term, but results have just come in and she has failed more than she has passed (her lab work has been good but the degree, at least this year, is all exam based).

She is now thinking of cutting her losses, withdrawing, and having her place held for the following year.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do about things like housing and fees? She is in a shared flat, and it's not a good time of year to find replacements. We have paid half the fees. Are we legally required to pay the second half if she is leaving for medical reasons?

thesandwich Fri 05-Jan-18 12:22:22

Has she spoken to her tutor or student services? They should be able to help and tell her what she needs to do. Poor girl.

LIZS Fri 05-Jan-18 12:27:24

It is likely that you are liable unless/until the place is filled. Does she have a tutor or could speak to Student Support? Does she have any access arrangements for exams?

ExcitementBubble Fri 05-Jan-18 14:10:16

You shouldn't be liable for the second half of the tuition fees but there will be a cut-off date so find out ASAP.

The accommodation will depend on the contract.

Poor thing (and you) pulling out and getting well for next year really sounds like the best plan, hope you can get the logistics and finances sorted.

Brokenbiscuit Fri 05-Jan-18 14:12:36

The university and/or Students' union should have an advice service which can help with these questions - try contacting them. They won't be able to talk to you as a parent though without her consent - not about her specific situation, anyway.

Tensecondrule Sat 06-Jan-18 09:24:58

I think it all depends on the uni. My youngest withdrew last Christmas due to hating his course, and because the uni were Informed by a certain date (think it was late Dec) we only had to pay for the first term accommodation plus a cancellation fee. I would be contacting them asap. It's a very stressful time I know, but my DS started again in Sept (different course, different uni) and it's all going brilliantly! She's making the right decision and hopefully after some rest she will go back raring to go. Good luck to her and you 😊

underperforming Wed 10-Jan-18 10:53:37

Thanks everyone for the advice. Tensecond , that's great that things have turned out so well for your DS!

DD spoke with her tutor and found out that things aren't as dire as she had feared -- her coursework has been excellent and these grades don't count for as much as she had thought. She loves her course, and has decided to try to plough on. If she feeds herself properly and sleeps (- two big "ifs"!) I hope think she will be alright.

PersianCatLady Wed 10-Jan-18 21:14:47

these grades don't count for as much as she had thought
Year one results don't count at all towards your final degree classification.

Basically as long as a student passes year one, the result does not matter at all.

Bekabeech Thu 11-Jan-18 12:35:57

@PersianCatLady that is not true of all Universities or all courses. On some courses every exam counts.

I hope it works out for you DD OP. Maybe stock her up with healthy food, send food parcels and get her on a good multivitamin? Do encourage her to talk to her tutor and to visit the health centre when necessary.

PersianCatLady Thu 11-Jan-18 16:39:01

@PersianCatLady that is not true of all Universities or all courses. On some courses every exam counts
As with most things in life, there are a few exceptions to the general rule.

There may be some UK universities and courses where first year exam results count towards the overall degree classification.

Bekabeech
Do you know which universities or courses take first year results into account in this way as it would be interesting to know??

LemonysSnicket Thu 11-Jan-18 18:10:07

Can she not get mitigating circumstances? She needs to speak to her academic advisor and her department.

LemonysSnicket Thu 11-Jan-18 18:12:34

She needs to figure out the grading system.

If she has an interactive transcript it will tell her the credits assigned to each piece of work and from there she can calculate the overall percentage worth.

Bekabeech Fri 12-Jan-18 07:11:12

Well Business Management at Birmingham University does and has for 30+ years. There are other courses where everything counts.

EdithViolet Sat 13-Jan-18 17:48:38

Good. It sounds like she can plough on. She just needs to force herself to get to bed early (very hard when no one else is doing that at university) and eat well and just rest as much as possible.

One of mine asked about certain paid internships today and I was checking a few websites and for those jobs they only want you to apply after year 1 and they want every grade during that first year. I am by no means saying every career wants that and it sounds as if here the best thing is to carry on with this year's course.

PersianCatLady Tue 16-Jan-18 14:31:36

Business Management at Birmingham University
So that is one that does.

OP - If you look at the course details on the university website, you should be able to see how the degree classification is calculated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now