I don't understand what the different degrees mean

(7 Posts)
NameChangedAndForgotOldName Fri 29-Dec-17 10:54:11

I want to do a degree next year, in sports and fitness. I have the qualifications needed to do this (level 2's and 3's) as well as a level 3 qualification in an unrelated subject (early years) and 3 a levels

But I'm really confused about the different types and letters in the names of them.
I want a full degree, letter after my name and the possibility of going on to do teacher training aswell.

Can anyone help me please, I think my children have melted the brain I used to have wink

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Fri 29-Dec-17 11:03:31

BSc is a possible qualification for sport and fitness. You must make sure the qualification is a degree. This is a science undergrad degree. Teaching would be either a BEd or you would do a PGCE for one year after your degree. You may need to check what degrees are suitable prior to teacher training. Can you offer another academic subject to teach? I assume you mean teaching in a school? If you don’t, there are other opportunities to be an instructor.

brizzledrizzle Fri 29-Dec-17 11:08:20

You would need to check whatever degree you choose to make sure it has enough subject content for whatever you want to teach - I believe it needs to be at least 50% of the degree for school teaching.

philippa26804 Fri 29-Dec-17 11:29:52

HE quals can be split into three sections.
You can 'cash in' 120 credits of study and get a Certificate (CertHE), 240 credits will earn you a diploma (DipHE) and 360 is a degree (Bachelors).
Different types of bachelor degrees if the names are confusing: BA (Bachelor of Arts), BSc (Bachelor of Science), BEd (Bachelor of Education), BEng (Bachelor of Engineering), LLB (Bachelor of Law), MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).

As already mentioned, you could go straight into a BEd course, or do a stand-alone degree in one discipline (in your case likely a BSc) and then do the PGCE (Postgraduate Cert in Education). Most PGCE courses will require you to have a 2:1 degree and you have to pass a professional skills test in order to be accepted.

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Fri 29-Dec-17 11:36:18

I'm already an instructor, that's the level 3 qualification I have, I want to go further.
Pgce looks good going onto teach PE if I wanted to, I'm also qualified as a teaching assistant in early years so interested in teaching small children aswell, either in schools or alongside the PT work I already do. I'm also considering teaching sports and fitness in college.

Basically I haven't made my mind up yet lol

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Sat 30-Dec-17 01:02:28

As a teaching assistant, you could become a teacher whilst working. You don’t need a PGCE to teach in a college.

NotSupposedtobeHere Sat 30-Dec-17 12:51:07

You need a Bachelor ‘s degree. Whether it’s a BA or BSc doesn’t much matter.

You should be looking at the various Sports Science degrees offered at unionear you and having a look at their emphases, content and general ethos and approach.

Then go to a couple of Open Days talk to academic staff teaching on degree courses you’re interested in and also ask about recognition of prior learning.

You really don’t need to angst over the name of a degree.

You need a Bachelor degree. The main consideration should be finding a course with a good match for what you’re interested in learning and practising professionally.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in