Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help a dyslexic mature student?

(3 Posts)
DyslexicNotThick Fri 01-Dec-17 01:39:32

Can anyone point me in a helpful direction?
I started a degree course in Sept, and was diagnosed as dyslexic at the beginning of this month. I will admit it came as a bit of a shock as I love reading for pleasure, but equally it now makes sense of many things I have struggled with, over the years.

I already have two diplomas and this course is for career progression that I really really want to achieve.

My issue is I am struggling so much with the academic work. The course is really intense as it is a work seconded degree, completed in one academic year. We also have work placement so timewise, I am out of the house full time either at uni or placement, and all studying has to be done during the evening or weekend.

I have approx 22,000 words to submit by the beginning of January. Uni seem to have good support options but it will take time for them to kick in, and I just don't have the luxury of time.

I am currently incredibly frustrated as I am supposed to have work done to show to my tutor in the morning, (support offered by her to help me following diagnosis) and despite spending a ridiculous amount of hours at it, and despite having loads of ideas about what to write about, and references to back it up, I just cannot seem to formulate it into an essay.

I have watched videos on you tube about essay planning and structure, which all make logical sense to me, until I try to put my ideas into those formats. Other students on the course are getting the work done in a fraction of the time it takes me. The dyslexic report identified my main issues as slow reading and working memory.

I could cry with frustration right now. I've worked so hard to get to here through the selection process for the course etc. I have wanted to do this for 14 years, I have huge passion for my future job, I am determined to get through this course but I need to crack essay writing and learn to work quicker. I haven't let up on the studying but feel like I have nothing to show for it....

Can anyone help at all, with pointers, tips, signposting to resources, or sharing their story? I'm off to bed now, once I pack up my pile of scribbled notes to show my tutor in the morning. hmm

PanannyPanoo Fri 01-Dec-17 01:48:19

Do you find it easier to express your ideas verbally? Would you be able to use your phone or a dictaphone to get all your ideas out verbally, then A friend or someone from the university can type them up. I had to do this due to a broken neck.
I could have given the work in recorded but found it easier to edit the work on paper. I am not dyslexic though so I am sorry if that is a really unhelpful suggestion. Best of luck. I hope you get some support from your tutor that will decrease your stress and worry.

tava63 Fri 01-Dec-17 01:54:12

Think about what worked for you when you did your diplomas. You achieved them, you will achieve this too. You will need to put more hours in than many others, but you know this already. You are not alone - likely 20 percent on your course are similar. Unis are apparently a lot better in providing support. Some people find mind maps work to structure approach.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: