Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Personal statement for a Masters degree

(5 Posts)
GoingCrazy21 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:07:37

Hi everyone,

I am really struggling writing a personal statement for a Masters degree. There is a 'personal statement' section and also a section for 'relevant skills' which is the same length - however the examples given only pertain to practical degrees such as medicine and I'm applying for English literature.

Everything I write sounds cliched and I'm panicking a little! Does anyone have any advice?

Norugratsatall Thu 02-Nov-17 14:32:33

When I applied for my Masters last year, the word count on the personal statement was ridiculously short so I had to keep it at interests and achievements from my undergrad studies if that helps? I wanted to add more about what areas I hoped to focus on in my Masters and how I felt these might help me in my future career plans...I didn’t have room to do that but would that help you? My MA is in music but could you talk about themes in literature that have inspired you or what you would like to consider as a dissertation topic.

GoingCrazy21 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:04:48

It's 3500 characters, which I think is around 500 words! I finished my undergrad a few years ago so I wasn't sure if I should be writing about what I've done since, though it isn't really relevant.

Thanks for your advice!

MsUnderstanding Thu 02-Nov-17 20:21:42

A personal statement should explain why you want to do the programme, give them an idea of your particular interests in course x or y that interest you and why. What do you plan to write your dissertation on? What did you do during your UG, what led you to want to study your chosen programme?
Don't feel you need to fill the word limit.
Do spell and grammar check. Get someone to read it for you with greasy eye.

In the relevant skills section just mention your relevant academic quals, membership of professional orgs? any relevant work experience, ignore the example.

I've read a few 1000 of these in my lifetime and my

MsUnderstanding Thu 02-Nov-17 20:23:32

Fresh eyes not greasy eyes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now