Talk

Advanced search

Worried about third year housing

(6 Posts)
a1mary Mon 30-Oct-17 20:07:08

Hello! Not sure where to post this but would like some mums advice if possible.

I’m in my second year of uni at Sheffield and currently living in a student house with some of my flat mates from first year. We all got on really well last year but since moving into a house the dynamic has really changed. Everyone has already expressed that they’d rather live with their respective course friends in third year and I would happily do this too - however, all of my course friends want to go on years abroad next year and I’m pretty set on not doing that. I know it seems early to be thinking about housing for next year but unfortunately the Sheffield housing markets open fully this week and I’m worried I’ll be on my own!

I realise there’s not much advice to give in this situation but feel quite worried about it and not sure who I can turn to! Thank you smile

Trailedanderror Mon 30-Oct-17 20:12:10

Any third year halls? In my day, many moons ago, many moved back in for the relative peace and quiet.

OddBoots Mon 30-Oct-17 20:14:41

Sheffield is unusual in having plenty of halls for those in 2nd and 3rd years, I realise this will leave you living with people out of your control but as you have seen even choosing who to live with doesn't mean all will be wonderful.

Kez100 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:51:50

I'd think about halls for third year. Maybe with other third years (if available?) or catered(treat yourself!) or in my DDs case as a resident student - they got 1/3 off rent at my DDs university and just had to be on hand to help (busy during freshers and rest of time tended to have to just tell students where to go for help - maintenance, student support etcetera).

a1mary Tue 31-Oct-17 10:42:40

Thank you - I have looked at third year halls but am just unsure about who I will be put with. I wish I could live in a house with people I’m already friends with but obviously don’t think that is possible unless I join an existing group of people who advertise a spare room on various Facebook pages. I like to go out and drink etc but have really struggled with the prevalent drugs culture at University and that’s why I worry about being with people I don’t know. I’m even considering a year abroad to avoid this situation - am I mad?!

BubblesBuddy Tue 31-Oct-17 22:10:41

Do lots of third years go into halls in Sheffield? I am surprised at that. It will mean being with mainly freshers though, surely? Can the accommodations office suggest if there is a third year floor or something? Then at least you would be with students of the same age.

Is Sheffield full of drugs? Surely not everyone? It is a university with low private school numbers and I thought significant numbers of not so well off students ( from what I hear). Obviously that’s wrong if they have money for drugs.

I am surprised you have not been able to find people to share with on your course because, again, surely not everyone is doing a year abroad? Most universities have limited places for this unless you are studying MFL of course. Having said that, a year abroad is great but organising accommodation when you are abroad is a nightmare. So you are really only putting the problem off a year. How will you look for accommodation when you are abroad and all your friends are in different countries? I would try and see if there are people who are not going abroad on your course and see if you can slot in with them. There may be friends of friends who are looking for a new flat mate for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now