Help with picking a course

(9 Posts)
MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:33:49

I am a single mum with two children of primary school age. I have a BSc in Psychology and I want to now do a Masters but I’m unsure what subject would suit me best.
I have the opportunity to take a year out of employment and retrain/ further my education in order to hopefully start a proper career path.
The problem is I don’t know what Masters degrees I would be qualified or what fields of work I would be able to get in to.
I’m lively, extremely hard working and very motivated. I had my first DC straight out of university so I haven’t had a chance to utilise my degree yet and have ended up in numerous sales roles as they suited my home life.
I need a career which won’t require working overnight or long trips away as I am a single parent.
Any suggestions? I’m really stumped here confused

OP’s posts: |
flyingpigsinclover Wed 25-Oct-17 21:37:34

Have you thought about teaching?

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:43:23

I would like to earn more than a teaching wage. In my LA the average wage is £24k which isn’t far off what I’m earning now so it isn’t worth doing a PGCE plus I find other people’s kids challenging —annoying— wink

OP’s posts: |
insert1usernamehere Wed 25-Oct-17 23:53:27

Frontline? It's a social work graduate scheme, a bit like Teach First

Larsitter Thu 26-Oct-17 11:21:21

Psychology? Some private psychologists can earn £100k if they are good and in areas where people have the funds to pay them.

BubblesBuddy Thu 26-Oct-17 13:27:06

I think you need more than a masters to be a top level psychiatrist don’t you?

Social worker is an obvious one. None of the state employees get paid a big salary to begin with but a Head can earn £100,000 in a secondary school and heading up Social Services in a LA is even more. You have to think of the longer term, not just starting salary. There are opportunities for advancing if you are good at your job and want to put the effort in!

BubblesBuddy Thu 26-Oct-17 13:27:53

Sorry - I meant psychologist. The ed Psychs I know have spent years training.


flyingpigsinclover Thu 26-Oct-17 13:31:52

yes, you need much more than 'just' a psychology degree - masters, phd and masses of junior experience.

Larsitter Thu 26-Oct-17 14:24:53

(psychologist, not psychiatrist - yes you need ideally MPhil or PhD with some experience but you have tos tart somewhere and starting with an existing psychology degree is a very good start)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in