Talk

Advanced search

Too many A level essay based subjects?

(44 Posts)
tk12345 Thu 12-Oct-17 18:40:45

My daughter is thinking of taking Religious studies, Pyscology and History for her A level options and I'm wondering if these subjects would be too essay based. Instead of History she was thinking of Politics and I'm wondering if this would be better. Also, would these subjects be highly regarded by uni's or looked upon as 'softer' subjects.
Thanks

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 18:47:06

Religioun and Psych are both soft subjects-if she wants to go to university why is she only taking 3? History and Politics are fine. I wouldn't worry about essay overload, most university course require lots of essay writing so itisgood to practice the skill.

tk12345 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:03:37

She's taking three as when she starts college next September the A levels have slightly changed and they don't do AS anymore so the majority will be doing three. Thanks for the reply

LIZS Thu 12-Oct-17 19:06:06

History and RS are well respected, while Psychology and Politics are not facilitating subjects.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 12-Oct-17 19:09:02

Religious Studies and Psychology are perfectly acceptable A levels for university entry. And three is a perfectly acceptable number to take.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 12-Oct-17 19:10:51

Facilitating subjects are not less respected. They are subjects that are not course requirements. So while you need Maths to do Maths (or Physics), you don't need Psychology to do Psychology. So Maths is Facilitating, and Psychology is not.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 12-Oct-17 19:13:26

Sorry, that should be non facilitating subjects are not less respected.

Except of course on MN....

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Oct-17 19:14:58

Religious Studies and Psychology are perfectly acceptable A levels for university entry. And three is a perfectly acceptable number to take I agree. Ds's lot this year are all taking 3, 4 isn't an option now. I doubt he'd describe psych as a soft option, really heavy workload!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Oct-17 19:16:19

Except of course on MN....

Quitegrin

Mrskeats Thu 12-Oct-17 19:17:29

Psychology is not regarded by the RG unis as a soft subject. What are you on about Ttbb ?

tk12345 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:28:11

Also, she's now considering biology as it's more 'facilitating' and if she wants to do psychology and RS then she says it will work better. However, it's not her favourite subject and I'm wondering if it's boring and she'll find politics more interesting.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Oct-17 19:30:57

Won't she get any guidance from school? Ds had at least 2 interviews/ meetings.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 12-Oct-17 19:31:01

shock Biology is not boring!

Shadowboy Thu 12-Oct-17 19:32:01

3 A levels is standard now that they are linear and more difficult. What his her overall aim for university? Does she have a study area in mind? Does she has RG or Oxbridge ambitions? Does she enjoy essay writing? Is she self motivated for NEAs? As some subject have a new NEA component- usually worth 20%

Csd17 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:35:31

These aren’t soft subjects.. but she could consider more scientific or mathematical subjects.

Sunnyshores Thu 12-Oct-17 19:35:52

have you looked at the Exam Boards description of the courses. Theres quite a lot of detail on AQA for example.

I think, unless you're doing a specific degree and need specific A levels, then any 3 are fine. Our school is recommending the EPQ (Extended Project) too.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 12-Oct-17 20:04:54

This is what it says on the King College Cambridge website:-

^Are you inclined towards essay subjects (the arts or social sciences).
If you think that you would like to study an arts or social sciences course at university but you are not sure which one, then English Literature, History, languages and Mathematics are good keystone subjects: choosing one or more of these will provide a good foundation for your subject combination.

Other good choices to combine these subjects with include: an additional language, Ancient History, Classical Civilisation, Economics, Further Mathematics, Geography, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics).

For many (but not all) arts and social sciences courses, there is no required set of subjects.

Other possible subject choices, for instance Archaeology, Citizenship, English Language, Environmental Science, Government and Politics, History of Art, Law, Music, Psychology, or Sociology, as useful preparation for some of our arts and social sciences courses.^

So from this I would say - history - brilliant choice, biology and RS - decent choices, politics and psychology - fine but maybe not both.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 12-Oct-17 20:09:04

If you have your heart set on Kings.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 12-Oct-17 21:33:41

It says it is based on the Cambridge university admission guide. So probably university wide. (It was what came up first when I googled "Cambridge a level entry choices" although I suspect it is biased for me as I have been on the KC website once or twice in the past. grin )

Op asked about universities. My general feeling is - if Oxbridge is happy with Psychology then it is unlikely that Bognor Regis Polytecnic is going to object!

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 12-Oct-17 21:35:55

DS1 is in his second year of History, English Literature and Politics. All three are quite essay-heavy, but if the student enjoys the subjects and finds them interesting, that shouldn't be a problem in itself.

fairyofallthings Thu 12-Oct-17 21:39:27

Psychology isn't a soft subject, some top unis count it as a science. My Dd did all essay subjects and got offers from all unis that she applied to.

titchy Thu 12-Oct-17 22:40:28

They're all fine don't worry. Does she have any idea what to do at university?

tk12345 Thu 12-Oct-17 23:47:05

She's thinking of doing law and criminology as a degree or something along those lines.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 12-Oct-17 23:50:51

They seem like respectable subjects to me. She needs to know what she wants to do after a levels. I did biology as it left me more options.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Oct-17 23:53:26

She needs to know what she wants to do after a levels
I don't think half the kids in lower 6th know what they want to do at ds's school including him, let alone year 12grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now