Talk

Advanced search

Does Oxford college choice make much difference to success chance?

(3 Posts)
tyunnos Sun 08-Oct-17 21:33:45

Does it reaaaally matter? I understand there is pooling as such but in truth does it effect the rate of success in gaining a place?

Fifthtimelucky Sun 08-Oct-17 23:24:34

Shouldn’t do. I gather some people apply for the less popular colleges thinking that they are more likely to get in, but the system is designed to ensure that the best applicants get in, whichever college they apply to.

My daughter applied to a very popular and oversubscribed college for her particular course. She didn’t get in, but she and a lot of the others who had applied to the same college received offers from other colleges that obviously hadn’t had such good applicants.

BubblesBuddy Mon 09-Oct-17 16:50:53

Where my DD applied, the lecturers taught at several colleges, so no difference. However the best advice is to visit and see where you might fit in. They are different sizes and it must actually offer your subject. I think the most beautiful colleges are popular and the most famous ones, but that shouldn't stop anyone getting a place if they are talented. Go and visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now