Advanced search

Refunding part of MSc course fee

(10 Posts)
mumblechum0 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:26:51

Asking on behalf of a friend. Anyone with professional knowledge on this much appreciated.
Is it possible that a Uni will refund some of an MSc course fee where the student stopped attending?
Student started part time MSc in Oct 2016. Stopped attending Dec 2016 as working full time, very long hours. Didn't officially drop out, just stopped going to lectures.
Has paid all of the fees for the year with a student loan. SLC now want most of it repaid immediately.
Any chance the Uni may refund some of the fees?

mumblechum0 Sat 07-Oct-17 12:20:14


titchy Sat 07-Oct-17 12:41:14

If your friend told the university they were dropping out then yes they'd usually offer a fee refund.

If they just didn't bother to turn up any more and didn't tell anytime they no refund and rightly so. How arrogant....

purplepandas Sat 07-Oct-17 12:42:37

Titchy is spot on. Without official notification of withdrawal, there will be no fees refunded. That cannot be done retrospectively of course.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:05

No chance the uni will refund fees in that circumstance.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:23

It will say on the university website somewhere. I think generally it's a part refund if leave early on in the course and then no refund.

As the person did not leave the course, I'd guess the university will not refund anything.

titchy Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:51

I assume they got the PG loan - why does SLC want their money back now? It's payable at 9% of salary over £21k.

mollifly Sat 07-Oct-17 12:45:14

In my expedience (which is a lot) not normally unless formal notification of withdrawal but as a post grad loan you'll have to pay it back straight away if you are no longer studying but have benefited from having living costs covered.

CorporeSarnie Sat 07-Oct-17 12:46:34

Of course not. How would the university know to refund if the student didn't withdraw at the time? It isn't a bank account. Masters courses are professional degrees and the students are treated as adult learners. In this case seemingly erroneously.

mumblechum0 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:07:32

Yep, pretty much what I thought! I'll let her know (told her the MN Massive would know! grin)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: