UCAS Application Queries

(21 Posts)
doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 09:48:10

Hi all, I have a couple of queries re the UCAS application...DS1 has a diagnosis of autism, and we were wondering what to put in the section that asks what support he will need...in all honesty we don't really know until he gets there, so was wondering what the best thing would be to put? I suspect he will probably need support with organisation initially, possibly anxiety counselling and maybe some IT equipment, but not sure if putting all that makes him sound "needy" smile

Also, in the section about parents education we're not sure what to put...both DH and I have NVQ level 4s in our professions, and DH went to agricultural college and has a diploma for that, but it wasn't really university equivalent, more A level equivalent as he went straight from GCSEs.

Any ideas on how to complete these sections would be gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 09:50:58

When you say support with organisation what do you mean?

LIZS Thu 05-Oct-17 10:00:22

Just put down any access arrangements already in place and that he would need advice from Student Support. He can apply for DSA via his Student Finance application which is administered through each uni following an assessment and could include one to one support sessions and IT.

doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 10:08:02

By help with organisation I mean he's not very good at planning or organising admin (all the stuff I do for him I suppose!)...I can imagine him struggling with all the initial things that will need to be done, registering with services, doctors, etc. He doesn't really have any access arrangements at the moment...he was diagnosed about a year ago after the school raised concerns, but other than six counselling sessions for anxiety nothing much has changed.

OP’s posts: |
2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 10:22:01

I imagine you'll need to help him with registering for Dr's etc then.

LIZS Thu 05-Oct-17 10:35:32

Has he had a post 16 assessment or equivalent (may have been done as part of diagnosis). This should detail the issues and support he might need.

doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 11:14:54

Well obviously I wasn't planning on just leaving him to it hmm and was planning on helping him...but if a form is asking what support he might need presumably that means there is support available which he could access. I'm very aware that once he's there we pretty much become obsolete in the process as the university will only deal with him, so whilst we can offer support initially with organisation, it may be an on-going theme throughout the years.

I think I need to check what paperwork was provided at the time of diagnosis. There are a lot of people on the current university starters thread who seem to have sons/daughters in a similar position who are mentioning support that is being provided, so it would seem to be quite common.

OP’s posts: |


wannabestressfree Thu 05-Oct-17 11:19:27

I think what people are getting at is university is not like a private school. They ask that question to gauge if they need an assessment for dsa. My son had one about four months prior to uni, he gets DLA etc though. He gets an allowance and a computer.

With regard to doctor, registering and things like that I had to do most of that and make sure he went to a uni fairly close in case he needed anything- he has locked himself out five times and rang me once at 2.3o as there were some ants in his kitchen.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 05-Oct-17 11:24:21

Dyslexic son has a laptop provided, extra time and green exam papers.

Friend's son with CP has a scribe and extra time and a ground floor disability adapted flat.

However, when you went to open days/go to open days you should be able/have been able to discuss what is available by way of help if anything.

titchy Thu 05-Oct-17 11:43:45

TBH it doesn't matter what you put - you could leave it blank, although if he's applying for courses that interview you ought to put something in there to flag that particular arrangements might be necessary if he is called for interview.

If he wants to apply for disability support when he gets there he can, even if nothing was put on the form. If he wanted to fill in the form though you could put something bland like 'I have a diagnosis of autism and am likely to need help with organisational skills and anxiety'. He'll be fully assessed once he's there so don't sweat it!

And put 'no' to university education for you and dh.

maryso Thu 05-Oct-17 11:52:36

For SpLDs I think you need a post-16 EP report (or equivalent) to access DSA. That report will state what he needs. Re the UCAS form you could refer to that report and make it available.

Re parental education, that can be left blank if unsure. 3-year undergraduate degrees are usually level 6. Most places indicate levels per year of study. However blank is fine.

doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 11:57:46

Did ask at the open days, but the advice was very generic really...yes support would be available, discuss nearer the time...which is why I'm unsure what needs to go on the form at his point. He is only applying to nearby universities, but it's very difficult to gauge what support he will need until he tries living independently...obviously it's something he's never done before. I think I'll put that he will need support from Student Services, and then anything that is mentioned on his diagnosis paperwork and see what happens next!

Does anyone know about my second question re parental education?

I'll be glad when the application is in TBH!

OP’s posts: |
wannabestressfree Thu 05-Oct-17 12:25:19

My son firstly stayed in catered halls for his first year. I help him organise his finances and wrote a list eg how to use washing machine. He is in his second year now and we still speak daily. He has no concept of time, he runs everything past me and needs help with lots of things.

Within uni he has a laptop, was offered extra lessons to access things but declined and gets extra finance. Once he was assessed that stays with him throughout his course. They also help with transport home (I am not well)

As another poster said you haven’t been to uni so put that. I went as an adult so ds1 got another bursary as first generation to go directly from School.

doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 12:40:42

Thanks, it all seems so needlessly complicated!

OP’s posts: |
wannabestressfree Thu 05-Oct-17 14:23:35

University is supposed to be independent learning for adults. In all fairness my ds has a statement from primary school age Onwards and we have just completed the next steps to make sure he has can access everything at uni.

I am confused exactly what you want to happen? To hand him over and they do it all for you?

doistayordoigo Thu 05-Oct-17 16:19:44

I just meant that the UCAS form includes things that really are more relevant further down the line, such as disability support (only really relevant for the actual university you end up going to) and parental education (presumably relevant for student finance and again the actual university you got to). Given that for most young people this is their first foray into having to be independently responsible, I don't see why the form can't be as straightforward and concise as possible.

I also don't see where exactly I've given the impression I want to hand him over and they'll do it all for me? On the contrary, we're looking at universities close to home (as I've already said) and I'm obviously supporting him in filling in the form.

OP’s posts: |
wannabestressfree Thu 05-Oct-17 17:01:55

Well because all those things are taken care of before he confirms his place it’s generic. As I said he can have his dsa assessment around Easter next year and finance is all sorted so he has his dates before he arrives.

All these things ds found helpful so he knew it was all done in advance not in the few weeks before he went or even worse when he was there.

That’s why it’s there.

voilets Thu 05-Oct-17 17:17:25

Best to name disability and say one or 2 things that might help him. Apply for DSA now. They'll call you for a local mtg and are great at helping you work out all together what he needs. I needed a recent doctor's letter naming difficulties and took statement post 16 report from school. All they really wanted was brief letter from GP.
He may get a mentor and they are so helpful.

chemenger Thu 05-Oct-17 17:55:07

The question about parental education is probably there because some universities take into account if the applicant is the first from their family to go to university when making contextual offers. These are offers made on a more generous basis to compensate for those coming from less privileged backgrounds.

LynetteScavo Tue 17-Oct-17 19:38:55

I'm mostly marking my place as I have a similar DS.. but my DS is in denial about his diagnosis, and DH is just sticking his head in the sand. I was thinking DS would be OK, but he wouldn't bother registering with a dentist or Dr....hell, he's letting me shortlist unis. I'm finding the whole process a bit painful.

I have no idea about what DSs needs are re the application...and if I put "nothing"and he drops out I will forever blame myself.

eatyourveg Thu 19-Oct-17 14:43:58

You don't need to have a post 16 assessment if its autism they just want the diagnosis letter and a copy of any statement/EHCP outling the current needs and provision.

ds is asd and didn't initially tick the box on the form but sent off for dsa during his gap year. He gets extra time, laptop with tons of specific software on it, printer/scanner, printing allowance, pastoral mentor, academic mentor and a third person too but I can't remember what he does. I'm not sure how much / if any of the support he is actually accessing but he's loving it there, so much so that he doesn't want to come home for reading week.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in