Student house insurance

(6 Posts)
thepurplehen Thu 21-Sep-17 11:50:49

My DS is moving into rental accommodation this year as he is in his 2nd year.

Does anyone have any recommendations for house insurance? Is it only Endsleigh that does student accommodation insurance?

OP’s posts: |
homebythesea Thu 21-Sep-17 12:49:02

check your own contents insurance - I only found out by accident that our policy covers student contents and the cover we have for stuff outside the home also is available to student belongings eg lost mobile phone

homebythesea Thu 21-Sep-17 12:49:28

This discovery saved us the £250 odd Endsleigh quoted

LIZS Thu 21-Sep-17 12:53:12

We checked our household policy at the weekend and ds stuff is covered as long as his room is locked when he goes out.

thepurplehen Fri 22-Sep-17 09:03:17

I know my household policy covers students in halls but not in a private rented house. So he was covered last year but won't be this year.

OP’s posts: |
homebythesea Fri 22-Sep-17 23:48:14

I would dodoubke check that purplehrn if the term is "student accommodation" then this would ordinarily cover a rented house if it is full of students. Ring your insurer and ask the specific question. Your call will be recorded in case of future query. My insurer said a house is covered as long as all doors and windows are locked i.e. No cover if there is unforced entry which is fair enough.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in