Talk

Advanced search

My daughter's off to Uni

(41 Posts)
Getpastthecleaning01 Wed 13-Sep-17 08:27:02

Any other mums out there wondering how to feel as their child leaves home to go to Uni for the first time?
It's a great achievement, she's ready, I just feel weird...

Bluebe Wed 13-Sep-17 09:00:40

We took my son to UWE (Bristol) on Monday
While I'm really proud of him I know what you mean! Feeling a loss!
House is very quiet! confused

Getpastthecleaning01 Wed 13-Sep-17 09:48:52

I feel for you. It must be hard. Any tips?
We are taking my daughter on Saturday. Planning and shopping done. Just feeling weird in anticipation!
I work from home and she's been around on a gap year, it's been lovely.
(Partly) to distract me, I have signed up for a Post Grad Diploma!

ILoveScrabble Wed 13-Sep-17 10:09:41

It is a bit weird but it's fantastic and exciting too. My youngest DC is now in her third and I couldn't be a bigger fan of the UK university system. It's a great middle step between leaving home and being a real adult. I know it doesn't work out for everyone but I think it does for most people.
The holidays are really long so you still get to have the kids around. I was suprised I didn't miss mine much - I think it was because I knew they were happy.

Bluebe Wed 13-Sep-17 10:18:23

Well.... I've joined the gym and a dating agency!
My youngest is still home. He's 14 and he is also finding it strange. No one to argue with! Lol x

Horsemad Wed 13-Sep-17 10:27:23

I got used to being without DS1 surprisingly quickly. shock grin

DS2 goes next week. Will miss him as I ferry him to lots of sporting activities; not sure what I'll do with all my spare time!

clarenceparence Wed 13-Sep-17 10:43:15

I keep changing from feeling SOOO excited for him, to feeling down and almost grieving. Mines an only child so I don't know if this makes any difference?!

I know he's going to have an absolute ball, and will fit in well as he's quite independent - but it doesn't stop you worrying does it?!

Horsemad Wed 13-Sep-17 10:53:18

Totally normal Clarence smile I was upset when DS1 went but was so happy as well! Conflicting emotions.

BillThePony Wed 13-Sep-17 10:55:07

DD goes on Sunday, we got used to her not being here already as she stayed with her grandparents over the summer as was closer to her summer job

Getpastthecleaning01 Wed 13-Sep-17 11:04:26

Well done Bluebe! Enjoy that. I'd better not join a dating agency (married now) but I'm sure I should do more exercise!
I have had loads of emotions over the year but strangely suspended at present. My DD is my only child too, Clarenceparence, so I expect I will feel it next week! Thinking of you.
My DD is doing Midwifery in Yorkshire - the course has very short holidays. Many graduate Midwives take a job at the local hospital. We looked at house prices in Teeside, and you can buy a 3 bed house for £60K: that's a £6K deposit and mortgage repayments that are cheaper than student accommodation. House prices in London will be unaffordable, I would think, so she may not come back!

clarenceparence Wed 13-Sep-17 11:27:44

That totally sums it up Horsemad! Such a confusing time!

Yes getpast mine is doing medicine in Yorkshire too, the holidays are very very short!

Good luck for the following weeks .... we could be in for a bumpy ride ;)

amaliaa Wed 13-Sep-17 11:28:40

Taking my dd to uni on Saturday. I veer from feeling happy and excited for her to weirdly emotional. I happened to pass by her nursery the other day and started to well up blush

My dd is doing engineering. I expect her to have some kind of internship or summer placement, so she may not come back here for long.

Horsemad Wed 13-Sep-17 14:48:53

Mine's going to Newcastle to do History. I think he'll come home after uni as he's a bit of a homebird but who knows...?

Kenworthington Wed 13-Sep-17 15:05:58

bluebe my ds is off to uwe on Saturday too. Am feeling mixed emotions. It's gone too quick. I'm not ready. He is. What halls has yours gone into? Ds1 is in marketgate

reasonsforwaiting Wed 13-Sep-17 15:14:34

My youngest DS off soon too. I yoyo between happiness that he's off to university to study subject of his dreams, and I'm just thrilled that he is so happy, and emotions that feel like grief - suddenly crying over old memories of his childhood when I pass certain places, or buy his favourite foods, or see other families with young children.

I suspect I will adjust fairly fast once he's gone though...... I'm looking forward to all that free time!

(Might actually use my languishing gym membership grin)

redfuchsia Wed 13-Sep-17 15:37:44

Taking our youngest DD to uni soon too. Lots to do which is exciting and keeping us busy. Different experience from a few years ago with our eldest. Knowing what to expect I guess? Remember feeling apprehensive as autumn approached. This time round it seems easier. Either that or it hasn't hit me yet! Is there an empty nesters forum/thread on Mumsnet or is this it?

Horsemad Wed 13-Sep-17 15:46:51

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/3009333-Its-real-now-leaving-home-to-go-to-uni-part-3

A lot of us have been using this thread (gone through GCSEs/Prom/Sixth Form/Alevels together smile )

Lots of useful info being shared.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 13-Sep-17 19:05:30

My dd is doing engineering. I expect her to have some kind of internship or summer placement, so she may not come back here for long.

Mine too - but she should be home for a reasonable while xmas and easter (they chuck the first years out of their rooms to use for conferences I think)

FrankyStein Wed 13-Sep-17 19:14:05

Mine too! She's off to Brighton and I'm driving her down on Sunday with a car rammed to the roof!

I feel ok about it I suppose. She's spent all summer long, well since about early June actually, lolling about the house and generally getting under my feet grin It's time for her to go and see what's what our there although I will miss her being around. She's a very err 'needy' child and calls me three times a day as it is so I should think she'll keep in regular contact when away

I've also got a ten year old at home so this softens it a little

Stopyourhavering Wed 13-Sep-17 19:27:12

My youngest dc left for uni 10 days ago, 350 miles away!
Middle dd 150 miles away and on placement year
Eldest dd has finished her MSc and is off to China for a year to teach English, won't see her for at least 6 months
I'm so proud of them all and we have actively encouraged them to reach for the sky.....there are so many possibilities
House will be very quiet without them all....however dh and I are off next week for first holiday without dcs for 24 years.... it's the Seychelles so I think we'll manage!grin.... although it will hit me when we come back and there isn't a pile of washing to dowink

DjangoUnchained Wed 13-Sep-17 19:35:43

There's a Facebook group full of mums feeling exactly the same. It's a time of real mixed emotions.

Come and join us.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/488235648182391

(What I wish I knew about uni)

Bluebe Wed 13-Sep-17 20:21:55

Hi kenworthington

He's in Berkley. Very nice. He has his own bathroom. Looked lovely when we left. Not sure how long it will last! smile
He's studying computer forensics and security

OddBoots Wed 13-Sep-17 21:30:03

We are dropping DS off on Saturday, I have real mixed feelings, he has only just turned 18 and has ASD so I wasn't sure he would go away to university but he has grown up so much in the past few months.

My biggest wonder is how much is he going to change over this year, I imagine the whole experience will change him but I don't know how much.

Getpastthecleaning01 Thu 14-Sep-17 08:57:32

It feels good to hear the thoughts, feelings and advice from lots of mums facing similar times. Thanks for all your comments.

Will check out the Facebook page too, thanks Django :-)

corythatwas Thu 14-Sep-17 22:05:58

Mine went off two weeks ago (drama school so they start earlier, also no halls so had to move into flat share when it became available). Feels good. She has struggled with disability and MH issues, so we are very proud to see her set out on her own. And drama school is v competitive; she has waited and worked for 2 years while trying to get in.

Still have one child to get through college.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now