Talk

Advanced search

Gap year for Oxford but only with AAA?

(31 Posts)
Whitlandcarm Wed 23-Aug-17 16:38:49

AAA (+A subj not taken)
Is it worth it? For a course with no entrance exam.
A*/A GCSE

OP’s posts: |
SerfTerf Wed 23-Aug-17 16:40:33

You mean take a gap year having got the A-level results, because now the AAA gives a shot at Oxford?

What's the course?

Lowdoorinthewal1 Wed 23-Aug-17 16:43:58

I'm not sure 3As will be enough will it? Was the DC in question planning a gap year anyway?

LadyinCement Wed 23-Aug-17 16:55:15

Hmmmm, I think that post-A Level applicants are required to exceed the standard offer, especially with a subject that has no entrance exam.

Whitlandcarm Wed 23-Aug-17 17:06:27

This is what we were also thinking. That's finesmile

SerfTerf Wed 23-Aug-17 17:16:11

If it's something like Archeology and Anthropology and s/he can write a stonking PS with relevant experience and hobbies (for example) it might be worth a flutter.

LadyinCement Wed 23-Aug-17 17:29:20

It might be worth going for a subject with an entrance exam - that way the student can stun the admissions people.

Bluntness100 Wed 23-Aug-17 17:34:26

I think it's worth getting the admission then requesting the deferral.

SerfTerf Wed 23-Aug-17 17:40:04

I don't think that's the situation Blunt

LadyinCement Wed 23-Aug-17 17:41:33

I think the OP's dc has achieved the AAA offer, and is considering trading up institution.

Asking to defer a place after it has been awarded is a no-no unless the student has an incredibly good reason, such as illness. Deferred places are only offered to spectacular students as the college has to be sure that they will be better than the next year's applicants. If you look at the statistics very few deferred places are offered.

Whitlandcarm Wed 23-Aug-17 18:03:29

Sorry for the confusion - she has achieved the grades.

Incidentally it is for Arch&Anth or Classical arch and anc hist

SerfTerf Wed 23-Aug-17 18:09:31

Arch & A has a better acceptance rate than many Oxford courses;

public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no

If she's able to be fairly philosophical about a potential rejection and she'll use the year well, I'd be inclined to lean towards trying it.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Wed 23-Aug-17 18:11:02

I got my place deferred a year at point of offer because I was swimming at international level and had a year training abroad full time already organised.

I think it has to be something like that for Oxford- not just because you fancy a gap yah.

Needmoresleep Wed 23-Aug-17 18:12:31

As long as she take the attitude that it is only one line on the form, and that she is happy going to one of her other choices, why not. Though she should also think a bit about how she would use a year out. Some of DDs friends did very little which they now regret.

abilockhart Thu 24-Aug-17 12:01:37

Sorry for the confusion - she has achieved the grades.

Incidentally it is for Arch&Anth or Classical arch and anc hist

It's worth a shot.

She should use her gap year to beef up her personal statement.

tropicalfish Thu 24-Aug-17 17:38:19

My dc took a gap year and applied to Oxford and got in as a re-applicant, the previous application was for a more competitive subject.
We went to the open day last June and went to talks about admissions and they stressed that they don't like people taking gap years because they feel that academically they will not cope with the high pace of work when they come.
I very much got the impression that personal statement wise you would have to emphasise your continuing application and interest in your subject during your gap year.
Remember the gap year is not just a year, its July to September.
I think its worth a shot. It might be worth contacting admissions and asking them what the statistics are for gap year applicants. We did this, and it was much lower than the other candidates who will have high predicted grades potentially 4 A*s.

Bluntness100 Thu 24-Aug-17 17:42:23

I'm confused, she has the grades, I get, but has she got an offer of a place?

SerfTerf Thu 24-Aug-17 18:01:49

Elsewhere, presumably blunt.

It's a question of "stick or twist?"

Lucysky2017 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:55:54

I would not bother. There are enough with most A*s who don't get in to make it worth putting off a y ear of your life when she probably won't get in unless she is genuinely exceptional and loves the subject etc.

RedHelenB Thu 24-Aug-17 20:12:46

I would give it a shot. I got an interview to do History (albeit a long time ago!) with lower grades in hand than they typically asked for and I loved my gap year. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Moominmammacat Fri 25-Aug-17 13:57:12

Give it a go ... I know a few who have got in with AAB ... and then got a 1st.

senua Fri 25-Aug-17 14:16:33

As long as she take the attitude that it is only one line on the form, and that she is happy going to one of her other choices, why not.

This. Carpe diem!
Congrats to her on the results.grin

SerfTerf Fri 25-Aug-17 14:19:14

If she's going to do it, she'd be well-advised to be quick about signing up for some Autumn digs.

senua Fri 25-Aug-17 14:28:17

Ah! 'Digs' means excavations, not lodgings. That makes more sense.grin

SerfTerf Fri 25-Aug-17 14:37:12

Ha, yes, archaeological digs smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »