Talk

Advanced search

Disappointing as levels

(16 Posts)
Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 16:29:47

After much deliberation , DS has decided to carry on with one a level (got a b), retake one as and carry on with it to a level, drop the AS he failed and start a new AS level. This will mean he will only have 2 a levels and an as level. The school said they will put that he is taking an a level not as on his UCAS form but is it likely he could get in anywhere? Obviously know we're not looking at top unis. Wants to study business studies

RedHelenB Mon 21-Aug-17 16:36:47

Btech could be an option perhaps?

Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 16:51:59

Agree this would be best option but ds not in agreement. Have decided needs to be his final decision, even though I disagree

titchy Mon 21-Aug-17 17:57:38

He'll be OK to do a Foundation year at uni. Another year of loans though. Can't believe school are prepared to lie shock

crunched Mon 21-Aug-17 18:07:55

My DS has just been firmly accepted on a Foundation degree to study Business & Enterprise following successful A-levels in two subjects - he completed an AS level in a third subject also.
In his case, should he complete the first year, the university concerned, (as you say, not a top ranking one but we were impressed non the less),will transfer him to the BSc (hons) and he will complete the degree in the standard three years.
So, in answer to your question, it is definitely an option.

Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 18:48:06

That's really interesting crunched. Wonder if that's done elsewhere too. Would you mind pm ing me the uni? Thank you all

titchy Mon 21-Aug-17 19:29:23

OP - yes loads of universities offer Foundation Years.

Try unistats here:
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/course-assistant-results/

Use the filter to select only courses with a Foundation year.

Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 20:50:51

Thanks just wondered if all gave option to transfer to 3 year degree if all going ok after 1st year

titchy Mon 21-Aug-17 21:30:02

Yes of course that's the point of them!

Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 21:49:18

Sorry. Didn't really understand if they were stand alone course

ImperialBlether Mon 21-Aug-17 21:55:01

My son did a Foundation Year as his A levels weren't quite good enough. It really, really helped him. The teaching was great and really brought him up further than resitting A levels would have done. They're told the requirements for getting onto Year 1 of the degree and there's no messing about - if they don't meet those requirements (including attendance, behaviour, giving in work as well as grades) then they won't take them onto Year 1. It was the making of him.

Stressie Mon 21-Aug-17 22:12:23

Thank you. Good to know

Gannet123 Tue 22-Aug-17 10:10:20

Foundations years are definitely a good recommendation.
But I'm not sure I've understood what your son's school have said. He's doing 2 A levels and an AS, but they will say that the AS level is in fact an A level?
As titchy says, that's a lie, and fraud. From your son's perspective, if they do that and then the university finds out, which they are very likely to in the circumstances, he may lose his university place. Please do tell the school to be honest on the UCAS form, and apply for Foundation places.

Kez100 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:59:43

My DD had to take exam certificates with her on first day at University. If he wants an offer he can meet then he needs to apply with the correct level of examination he is doing and the right subject.

Kez100 Tue 22-Aug-17 15:04:58

Also, there seems to be a thing about getting into a University. That's just the start! A degree is hard work - don't believe the media! He needs to get to the right place for his interests an ability.

Cambridge could give me a Maths place for all they want - I'd be lost on lecture one!

Dropouts do happen - what a waste of time, money and effort, to be in the wrong place. If a foundation year is best then go for it and stage the study at the right time.

Personally, I'd look at Btec with that B grade subject perhaps continued on the side. If there is a Btec that suits him? Its what I did and both my DCs. We've all been very successful from this route.

Stressie Tue 22-Aug-17 17:13:17

I was confused by schools suggestion about what to put on UCAS form too.We are on holiday at the moment and he's completing homework set by school for start of term. It will be used to help decide if he does an AS or A level in new subject (economics). Doing it in 1 year sounds a bit tricky to me. Setting up to fail? Will have to be guided by school to see what they think he's capable of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now