Talk

Advanced search

DD didn't get expected grades; excited about possibilities

(24 Posts)
Harvestmoonsobig Thu 17-Aug-17 10:09:54

Just parking this here.

We had breakfast together as she took in the reality of not getting her chosen place. She's excited about what she could do instead.

I AM SO PROUD OF HER.

This time last year it was so difficult.

She is everything you could wish for in a daughter. Resilient and resourceful.

OP’s posts: |
ErrolTheDragon Thu 17-Aug-17 10:12:29

You're right to be proud, that sort of resilience can be worth more in real life than exam grades. And there are indeed many options at this stage of her life. Good luck!

EnidNextDoor Thu 17-Aug-17 10:14:58

That is the kind of attitude that will see her do well in life. I see it all the time, and unfortunately I also see some people with top academic results who crumble at life/work stuff. Well done to your dd, what is she thinking of doing?

andbabymakesthree Thu 17-Aug-17 10:15:39

Great approach and attitude!

FreedaDonkey Thu 17-Aug-17 10:16:25

Fab attitude.

What does she fancy doing?

Auntpetunia2015 Thu 17-Aug-17 10:19:14

I was all set to have a similar conversation with DS despite his confidence I just didn't think things would work out for him. But I was wrong and he got his insurance place. But even now he's mooching through clearing saying ..I could have done that , that sounds ok.

Exciting time for your dd

leccybill Thu 17-Aug-17 10:20:56

I think attitude is half the battle in life sometimes. Good on your DD for being so positive - tell her we're proud of her too!

Holidaygirlsummer Thu 17-Aug-17 10:23:53

Oh thats so much more to be proud of than exam results.

flowers

CashelGirl Thu 17-Aug-17 10:25:57

Well done to her. And to you for giving her the tools to get there. Xx

MeredithLogue Thu 17-Aug-17 10:27:21

She's a testament to a good upbringing. Good luck to her x

Floralnomad Thu 17-Aug-17 10:27:24

Congratulations for whatever she got . It looks like from the news this morning there will be loads of choice at clearing this year hope she finds something great .

Harvestmoonsobig Thu 17-Aug-17 11:47:54

Thank you. You are all so generous.

She's looking at a working abroad gap year.

In the meantime doing something lighthearted like working on a cosmetic concession to get sales experience and raise the money. She'll be great. She oozes quiet confidence and gives great advice.

It's been really difficult raising our girl to adulthood. Many posts on MN when I've been soooo at the end of my tether and so upset. But the rollercoaster of her childhood seems to have left her with a sense of humility and clarity.

Thank you again for your replies.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Eusebius Thu 17-Aug-17 11:55:49

Well done to your DD. It's not over till it's over! If more young people could acquire this type of strength (and I say acquire because it's bloody hard to reach this place mentally) there would be far less mental health issues amongst teenagers.

I hasten to add though, it's not necessarily to do with upbringing. Some are just predisposed to higher anxiety levels whatever the upbringing and some are naturally resilient.

mumeeee Thu 17-Aug-17 14:12:24

Well done to your DD. That's a great attitude. You must be proud of her and you should be proud of yourself too

Stopyourhavering Thu 17-Aug-17 14:30:15

My dh and I were in same situation as school leavers not getting first choice Unis. for d it meant resitting A levels and for me doing a different degree at another uni
However we met at same uni, had a fabulous time, got great degrees and now 30 yrs later find our son also having to go through clearing to find an alternative degree!!
Life throws you so many curved balls....it's how you deal with them that is deciding factor in life's successes
Wishing your dd every success in what she decides to do....she is young and the world is her oyster

JoNapot Thu 17-Aug-17 14:36:38

Life should be exciting at that age; it's nice to hear!

Carmichaela Thu 17-Aug-17 19:54:53

What a lovely attitude. She's a daughter to be proud of.

Blogwoman Thu 17-Aug-17 20:58:08

That's really great to read OP - well done to you & your DD. My eldest has just got onto the uni course she wanted after a very up and down time through secondary school. Her struggles also seem to have brought out some very lovely qualities in her. Good luck to your DD - I hope she finds something to do that she'll love.

Crumbs1 Thu 17-Aug-17 20:59:55

Positive attitude is good but a phone call to university admissions might be more useful.

Kattya Thu 17-Aug-17 21:42:01

Lovely to read. And how fabulous she will be. My DD didn't get the grades so went through clearing and has confessed to me she wasn't sure about her first choice and pleased with her clearing course so a blessing in disguise.

Harvestmoonsobig Thu 17-Aug-17 23:03:52

Thanks Crumbs.

Yes phone calls to unis and clearing made.

Brokenbiscuit Thu 17-Aug-17 23:08:49

Good for her, OP. Sounds like she has a fantastic attitude. Best of luck to her in whatever she decides to do next!

BertrandRussell Thu 17-Aug-17 23:13:59

I think I've got something in my eye..........

Bacere Sun 20-Aug-17 20:17:41

Really good to hear positive approach, hope it all works to her advantage now. Often hear how the unexpected turns out yo have been the right thing at the right time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »