Talk

Advanced search

That old chestnut - what GCSE grades are desirable for Oxbridge

(3 Posts)
PamBeasleyHalpert Mon 14-Aug-17 20:00:02

Sorry I know it's been done before but just wanted to hear any recent information/experience.
I understand that Oxford looks at GCSE results more closely/puts more emphasis on them than Cambridge. If a student doesn't do AS Levels then are GCSEs looked at equally by both, along with predictions for A Level?
Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
stonecircle Tue 15-Aug-17 00:24:42

Surely all universities will need to look closely at GCSE results now A levels are two year courses?

BubblesBuddy Tue 15-Aug-17 12:41:18

There is plenty of evidence on university web sites that they are looking at GCSEs for highly competitive courses. My DDs school always said at least 6 at A*. How that translates to 8/9 grades I am not sure, but someone will no doubt say they had half an A* and were fine! Many, on the highly oversubscribed courses will have more than 6 A* for Oxbridge. Medicine used to average 10 A* at Oxford. I think a broad spectrum of GCSEs is fine with the majority at very high grades. Recruiting universities won't care as much because they need bums on seats - look at clearing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »