Talk

Advanced search

Funding/disability

(6 Posts)
zzzzz Wed 21-Jun-17 09:58:44

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or it would be better in SN.
My question is really when they are judging family income for university do they take into account disability?

In our case we have a child who is severely disabled and siblings who want to go to university. On the surface we manage but obviously with one dc costing considerably more and also needing to save for his future we are pretty stretched to even think if university.
Dd would never mention quite how hard things are at home both just getting to work and financially and neither would I normally, but I do want to give her the best chance we can.

eatyourveg Wed 21-Jun-17 16:10:03

When we did student finance for ds1 and ds3 there was a section in the parental income about benefits and thats where I put my carers allowance for ds2 - there was another question that asked about other dependents and it was something about what type of course they were on so we put entry level daily living skills or something like that but financially I don't think it really makes a difference unless there are 2 applying for student finance simultaneously as they assume DLA and ESA if eligible compensates for the extra costs for the disabled sibling.

zzzzz Wed 21-Jun-17 16:22:35

Yes it is true that DLA makes it easier day to day.

I find the funding criteria quite baffling. A thousand £s ish per other child off the family income to be taken into account seems ludicrous when it doesn't in any way reflect the costs involved.

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 23-Jun-17 21:53:20

Unfortunately outgoings aren't taken into account when calculating student finance other than a notional amount for dependent children.

It is tough if the DLA doesn't compensate for the expenses (when does it ever, especially if you consider loss of income for the caring parent).

bigbluebus Thu 29-Jun-17 16:40:37

Very little is actually taken into account when applying for student finance. It takes account of income - so Carers allowance has to be declared but it takes no account of any outgoings for anyone. So if you have a huge mortgage/rent to pay each month and someone else has a small mortgage but you are on the same income, then the amount of student maintenance allocated will be the same.

I have just done my bit of DS's student loan application and they wanted figures for 2015/16 tax year. I have had to declare my Carers Allowance which I am no longer getting as my DD (who I was carer for) died a few months ago. As the Carers Allowance is such a pittance it has not made a 15% difference to our income so I cannot ask for consideration for this year's income. The whole system is screwed - shame Labour didn't get in and abolish it!

Lucysky2017 Fri 30-Jun-17 13:32:30

Sadly it was Labour which saddled us with student loans in the first place.

I think a lot more these days is loan not grant. Maintenance element outside london £8430 which will cover most people's rent with some over. If your income is over £62k it is 3928 and the idea is the parents could afford to top up the £4500 (£86 a week) or summer jobs might help. It goes down in bands depending on income between those 2 figures www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/fees/2017/maintenance-loans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now