Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Computing: What's the difference between these degrees?!

(7 Posts)
Draylon Thu 15-Jun-17 15:51:35

DS finally beginning to consider his post 18 options, so for my edification, can anyone tell me the difference between these degree courses?

Computing
Computer Science
Computing and Information Systems
Information Technology

TIA!

DottyDynamite Thu 15-Jun-17 20:55:02

Information Technology or IT is generally much more business related whereas Computing or Computer Science is far more technical and likely to lead to a job as a Developer. I work in the industry and would be put off by a graduate applying with an IT degree, unless it was a business based role. However, there's a lot of variation within Computing degrees and much would depend on A levels taken and expected grades. Top courses are looking for Maths and Further Maths A levels, and I would be wary of a Computing course that wasn't looking for at least one Maths A level.

7461Mary18 Thu 15-Jun-17 22:10:18

I am a lawyer not a computer person (although done a huge amount of work with that industry) and I suspect also it will matter what the status of the institution is more generally eg Computer Science at Cambridge and AAA at A level including maths and further maths probably stands you in very good stead.

VoteMe Fri 16-Jun-17 08:23:17

Computer Science has one of the highest drop out rates and one of the suggested reasons is that students don't really understand what it is so it's definitely worthwhile finding out smile

As the previous poster said Computer Science is generally lots and lots of maths.

How about getting some prospectuses sent to you so you can have a look at the course content.

Draylon Fri 16-Jun-17 17:40:17

DS is doing a 3 A level equivalent BTEC in Computing at present, so at least he has a reasonable knowledge of that the module titles mean, unlike me!

He said that CS was 'about algorithms and stuff', i.e. mathsy!

rac222 Sat 17-Jun-17 19:33:45

I've just completed my degree in computer science so I'll try and summarise a bit:

Computing and Computer Science are the same. They'll mostly cover programming, algorithms, maths, AI, human-computer interaction, systems architecture, networks and hardware. A lot of focus is placed on problem solving and logic, and a computer science degree tends to be held in higher regard (rightfully so or not).

Information Technology is less programming and more systems/networks type stuff. I couldn't tell you the exact type of thing as I obviously didn't do it but it tends to be more focused on things like network and database design.

There's also software engineering which is for people who would rather learn just the programming side of computer science.

The best thing would be to consider the type of career he'd like after graduation. A Computing/Computer Science grad is likely to go into software engineering, web developer, systems analyst, etc. Whereas an IT grad is more likely to work as a database administrator, IT systems manager etc.

Another thing to be aware of is that with Computer Science it's highly desirable to go to a University where the course is BCS accredited, they should state whether or not they are on the prospectus.

Happy for you to pm me with any more questions if you'd like the point of view of a recent grad.

Draylon Sat 24-Jun-17 11:04:35

Thanks for that info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now