Talk

Advanced search

Loughborough accomodation

(9 Posts)
Eve Wed 24-May-17 20:07:23

Cheekily following on Birmingham uni thread , any views , tips on Loughborough halls.

We are insisting on catered for 1st year, DS is insisting on cheapest - shared bathrooms no problem for him.

goinggetstough Wed 24-May-17 20:09:50

There are different levels of catered at Loughborough. Towers is fully catered - every meal provided. My DC lived here for 2 years and enjoyed the experience. They live on a floor which had shared facilities. The other halls e.g. Royce etc over by the library don't cater for every meal so do check.

unfortunateevents Fri 26-May-17 18:23:25

Have you visited the uni OP? DS1 will start there in Sept in the Design School. He did A levels and is on a gap year so it was me who logged in yesterday morning (2 mins after accommodation opened up for unconditional offers!) and he will be in Towers which was his first choice. Between the Open Day, his interview day and a second Open Day visit in Sept specifically to look at accommodation I think we've seen it all! The general impression we got from the students is that there is no poor accommodation and that students are very territorial about their halls, with everyone thinking theirs is the best! Towers has a new dining hall which opened this academic year which looks great and the menus seem very varied. DH has an intern at the moment who is/was in Butler and is also very happy with that.

eatingtomuch Fri 26-May-17 23:22:40

Unfortunate what has your DS done during his gap year? Did he apply with actual A level grades?
My DS thinking of taking a gap year, but I'm worried he will waste a year.

jalopy Sun 28-May-17 06:13:29

My son is in the cheapest accommodation at Loughborough and it's perfectly fine. So much so, he's also enjoying his second year in there too.

Eve Sun 28-May-17 23:00:20

DS and Dh did the uni tours! I do all the revision, application , eassy help (dyslexic DS). Least DH could do was the open days.

I'll tell him to get a move on with applications.

PurpleAlerts Mon 29-May-17 09:44:47

My DD has been in RigRut and Bakewell- both lovely halls- decent sized rooms with en-suite plus nice kitchens. She had a few friends in Towers but they didn't particularly like it and DD is fussy WRT to bathrooms and didn't want catered so wouldn't have suited her. They are in the main accommodation village fairly close to the Engineering school but a bit of a walk from other departments such as the Design school ( where DDis)

PurpleAlerts Mon 29-May-17 09:49:24

Oh just seen you want catered. You have the option to have catered even in non- catered halls as you can buy a catering package - think it's a sort of card you load up and can use to eat in some of the canteens.

unfortunateevents Mon 29-May-17 17:07:04

Eatingtoomuch just seen this now, will PM you later with details of his gap year as otherwise it will completely out him/me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now