Talk

Advanced search

Tips on Birmingham Uni accommodation

(11 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Wed 24-May-17 15:12:59

DS applying for first year. Anyone got any useful inside knowledge/advice?

Wants to be on campus and self-catering.

Thanks.

Ginmere Wed 24-May-17 20:02:03

My son is at UOB first year but on meal plan in Aitken. He is on the Vale which he says is the place to be. Tennis Courts or Maple Bank are cheapest and considered the party accommodation, ideal if your DC is outgoing and sociable. Mason inhabitants called Mason Wankers, private school hoorays (their stereotype not mine!) Shackleton and Chamberlain seem to be good choices but expensive. Depends on budget I guess, cheaper accommodation is seen as a badge of honour though and good for getting the full student experience with shared bathrooms!

Teenagedream Wed 24-May-17 20:08:54

My daughter wanted the Vale self catering but got offered really expensive catered accommodation which she turned down. Eventually got offered Liberty Gardens. Cheap and not particularly cheerful. Shared bathroom but quite sociable and very near the clubs in town and five ways station. She walks to campus as long as weather is good. This was her first choice uni too.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 24-May-17 20:09:52

Thanks Ginger, useful info. DS is not particularly outgoing - in fact he's quite a shy chap.

Think we're probably aiming for mid-budget, haven't looked into it yet, definitely think DS does NOT need an ensuite bathroom.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 24-May-17 20:16:50

looks like The Vale is all catered/Meal Plan?

Ginmere Wed 24-May-17 20:34:39

Some is self-catering on the Vale, when you complete the accommodation application you can specify whether you would like a lively, mid or quiet flat so they try to put like minded people together. You may be surprised, my DS was reserved and quiet before he went to Uni and has come into his own. It's been lovely seeing him become so much more confident - he loves it there.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 24-May-17 21:06:14

Thanks Ginmere. I sort of think that if DS is with a bunch of other quiet students he'll never go out anywhere! But if he's with a more lively bunch, hopefully he'll be swept along with the fun ...

Glad to hear it's working out well for your DS.

JacinthaPostlethwaite Thu 25-May-17 10:39:54

My daughter wanted self catered en-suite accommodation on The Vale. Ended up at Liberty Court. She was disappointed at first but she's made the best of it and enjoyed first year as she gets on really well with her flatmates and will be sharing a house with them in Selly Oak for 2nd year. It's a 25 minute walk to university but Liberty provide a free shuttle bus. Birmingham was her first choice uni.

Teenagedream Thu 25-May-17 13:10:58

Jacintha. I presume Liberty Court is a little further towards centre than Liberty Gardens. No shuttle bus but near the station. Sounds a very similar story to my DD.

JacinthaPostlethwaite Thu 25-May-17 14:23:53

Hi Teenagedream - Liberty Court is right next door to Warwickshire county cricket ground in Edgebaston. I think closer to uni than Liberty Gardens but no where near a station. Shuttle bus doesn't run all day just 8am to about 9.30am then again at 4pm to about 5.30pm.

When we visited on the uni open days she fell in love with The Vale. I think the reason she didn't get on there is because she didn't want meal plan and also wanted an en-suite room.

SensitiveSoinSo Thu 25-May-17 14:40:09

My daughter has put Pritchatts Park as her first choice.
When she viewed tge accommodstion it seemed the best for the money (in her opinion for what she wants). She likes the fact its v v close to csmpus, rsilwsy and sports pitches/ground.
Cannot recall what her other choices were off the top of my head.
She has an unconditional offer snd its her first choice so we are just waiting for allications now. Are they in july? I think thats what was saif in amongst all the bumph!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now