Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done a modular Masters far from home?

(2 Posts)
AhAgain Wed 03-May-17 14:06:58

Anyone done this?

Met someone from where I used to work (13 years ago) recently. I haven't worked since (extended career break for high level sport, then children). Am currently SAHM, but missing the challenge and often thinking about going back to work.

Ex-colleague hinted at "on the job training", but I have been out for so long and this is a skilled area (really not something you want to make mistakes at!). It would also be a side step for me (a slightly different field that I didn't have much direct experience of.

So combination of:
- not working for 13 years (and low confidence)
- no direct experience of the work before my career break
- the "critical" nature of the work.
All makes me feel like o might need some serious training... I could probably do a Postgrad Diploma and not a full MSc because I already have an MSc in a related/complimentary subject and it is the raightvelements which woukd be invaluable.

Unfortunately it is a niche subject area and by far the best course (although there really aren't any really valid alternatives) is 4 hours from home (by car or train). The university does each module in a week, followed by coursework.

Has anyone got any experience of doing a long distance modular course, whilst they have a family?

OP’s posts: |
allegretto Wed 03-May-17 14:10:13

Yes. I did my MA completely in distance learning mode and my PhD partly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »