Talk

Advanced search

Lancaster as insurance

(12 Posts)
Star21 Fri 14-Apr-17 07:55:38

Has anyone had experience or heard of accommodation issues for students accepting insurance offers from Lancaster? DS wants to put Nottingham as firm and Lancaster as insurance but is worried that there are issues with gaining campus accommodation at Lancaster if you don't choose it as firm.
The offer from Notingham for maths degree is A*AB with min A*in maths and A in further maths, his predicted grades were A*A*B with the B in further Maths so based on predicted grades would miss the further maths requirement despite grades overall exceeding requirement.
He is considering putting Lancaster (AAB) first instead of his preferred Nottingham just because he is worried about the accommodation, seems wrong to me that he is basing his choices on accommodation.

redexpat Fri 14-Apr-17 08:04:14

Well surely there will be some who have it as their first choice who dont get the grades?

hellsbells99 Fri 14-Apr-17 08:47:37

The chances are Nottingham will accept him with a dropped grade. My friend's DS is doing maths there and he didn't do further maths at A level.

senua Fri 14-Apr-17 08:50:32

He is considering putting Lancaster (AAB) first instead of his preferred Nottingham just because he is worried about the accommodation

Read that back to yourself and see how daft it sounds.
If the worst comes to the worst, there must be some accommodation in Lancaster-town (not that far away) if not on campus.

TheCakes Fri 14-Apr-17 08:58:02

I'd give the students union at Lancaster a call. They'll know. Or student accommodation.
There is lots of accommodation on campus and TBH I think it would be a bit rubbish to be in town in the first year, because of the way Lancaster Uni is, but I can't see it being a massive problem as they seem to just keep building up there.

FlyAwayPeter Fri 14-Apr-17 11:18:42

Yes, when I was last there (it's near my home town), Lancaster was still building! And it's really close to town & student social life happens a lot in town.

But he should Firm where he actually wants to go, and sort out accommodation later. He should go for Notts.

And if he needs to take up his Ins. offer, then it's far easier to sort accommodation in a small town like Lancaster ...

Star21 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:08:12

Yes Senus, it is ridiculous to make a decision like this based on accommodation! I went to Lancaster Uni myself albeit many years ago and I would not have wanted to live off campus in my first year either, more difficult to make friends, potentially feeling more isolated and less supported as the town is a good bus journey away from the campus.
Hellsbells, I wonder if your friend's DS did the STEP exam instead of further Maths but yes I do wonder if there would be room to drop a grade at Notts if overall he still exceeds requirements.
I hadn't thought of ringing the accommodation office or student union so I think I will try that next week after the bank holiday.

hellsbells99 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:03:07

Star21 - no, Nottingham don't ask for STEP. His A levels were maths, physics and chemistry.

user7214743615 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:22:15

I would be astonished if Nottingham can afford to enforce those grade requirements. Maths departments higher in league tables than them take AAA/AAB in August, provided that the student has an A in Maths.

Following the comments about FM, outside the top six or so Maths departments, at least a third of students will come in without FM at all. I'm not sure of the detailed statistics at Nottingham but for sure a significant fraction of their Maths students don't have FM at A2. (BTW I'm an academic in the subject.)

LettuceMash Fri 14-Apr-17 21:54:34

My niece dropped 3 grades last year, from predicted AAA to BBB and was accepted immediately on results day at Nottingham.

jeanne16 Sat 15-Apr-17 20:46:56

There seems to be a problem with accommodation at lots of universities when it is an insurance offer. The removal of the cap on numbers has meant universities are taking ever higher numbers of students so many just don't have enough accommodation for all first years. Having to sort out somewhere to live is a horrible way to start the first year.

Star21 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:07:53

Lettuce what subject was that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now