Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Secondary Sci to Uni Admin

(8 Posts)
mumofoneofeach75 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:44:33

Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice on a possible career change. I've been a secondary science teacher for 9 years and need to leave - work place bullying, excessive workload, unachievable targets etc etc. I've looked for jobs in all sorts of areas, schools data officer, school admin etc but there's not much in my area. After widening my search and signing up for more job alerts, lots of uni admin jobs are coming up. I'm a single mum and not sure how I would cope with such a big drop in salary. But I'm really desperate and at over 40, don't think I have a lot of options. If I could do some exam marking and tutoring on the side, could I make this work? I'm considering an au pair for child care to help with having to work the school holidays. Any advice would be much appreciated.

BizzyFizzy Sat 01-Apr-17 13:51:36

Can't comment on the uni admin job, but as Secondary Science, you have options.

I imagine the workplace bullying includes telling you that no one else will employ you, but that is not what the market is like.

If you want to continue with science teaching, then update your CV and put it up on the Reed Education website. You will be flooded with responses.

PM me if you would like to chat. I am an over 50 science teacher with plenty of experience in the job market, and of bullying.

mumofoneofeach75 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:59:23

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I'm not sure I want to continue in teaching - I'm one of those who takes everything personally and having worked in an unpleasant environment has really knocked my confidence. I'm also worried about my son who is starting his GCSEs and has made a bad start - I don't have any time to help him -he's terrible at science sad. Hoping to find something, with more regular hours, no excessive work to do at home, no OFSTED.......

BizzyFizzy Sat 01-Apr-17 14:07:30

Think about the independent sector

mumofoneofeach75 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:19:48

yes, I hadn't really considered public schools. thanks again.

rightsaidfrederickII Mon 03-Apr-17 22:48:15

Have you looked at jobs in widening participation? That is, working for a university doing outreach activities designed to encourage bright kids (invariably this is focused on those from the local area) from backgrounds where going to uni isn't the norm to go to university. Teachers tend to be snapped up to do that sort of work.

Student recruitment is similar, but more about getting sufficient students through the doors regardless of background. Again, lots of working with kids, but nowhere near the same pressure, and teachers are in demand.

Admissions is also another area which involves working with pre-uni students, though it tends to have the most regular hours.

The above areas can all be reasonably well paid (though you don't say what you need) as you wouldn't have to go in the bottom rung, especially in widening participation / student recruitment.

Are you signed up to jobs.ac.uk?

mumofoneofeach75 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:33:12

@ rightsaidfrederickII Thanks so much for replying. I did see some widening participation vacancies earlier this year - I couldn't apply because of the teacher resignation dates. Also, the vacancies mentioned travelling schools across the county and I'm a single mum with young children and didn't think I'd manage - childcare issues. There is a vacancy in student records and another PA position that I'll try for. I have the impression that if I can manage to secure a position in a university, it might be more straightforward to apply for more suitable roles. I think my minimum salary requirement are around £23,000 to cover my outgoings. But child care costs will increase and some of the vacancies are lower paid than this. I feel so desperate - thank you again for your advice.

mumofoneofeach75 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:33:39

also, yes I am on jobs.ac.uk xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now