Talk

Advanced search

Help please? Need advice urgently- DD missing essay deadline

(25 Posts)
NewView Mon 27-Mar-17 07:51:07

DD in first year of degree hasn't managed to hand in her essays on time and isn't going to get them to her friend who was going to submit them for her today. Please can you advise me what to do/ advise her to do or who to contact as she has total writers block and doesn't seem to be making any progress?
Thanks in advance for any help

Nicotina Mon 27-Mar-17 07:56:07

I'm guessing this has been going on for a while; she's hoped it would resolve itself but, as the deadline approached, it just got worse. Her tutor? When her panic on this has passed and, hopefully, she gets through it, she needs to sit and think hard about whether this is the course for her and/or how she can change her approach. Hope it gets sorted.

HamSandwichKiller Mon 27-Mar-17 07:56:18

This isn't down to you to fix. She needs to contact her department (or tutor if that's better) and get some revised deadlines.

Schoolchauffeur Mon 27-Mar-17 08:02:14

Depends on the rules for her department and uni. If she hasn't already missed the deadline, she must follow whatever rules there are for requesting an extension, which will be found somewhere in her course or module handbook.
Dependent on her uni's regulations, she may be granted an extension for a certain period of time, but there may be a penalty on the mark. For example at DDs uni, in first and second year an extension is usually granted but the maximum mark they can receive is capped at a C grade ( 2:2 ). At DS's uni, there is a penalty of 10% of the grade awarded for the essay.
Failure to request an extension or missing the extension dead line, usually results in a fail for that piece of work, unless there are real extenuating circumstances such as illness, bereavement.

YellowPrimula Mon 27-Mar-17 08:05:40

Surely she has to submit them online through Turnitin or something similar.At some universities you also have to send in a hard copy but usually if you have submitted online that will satisfy the time issue .

NewView Mon 27-Mar-17 08:11:44

Thank you- I am not wanting to interfere- just get her to contact the right people herself ASAP.
Submission is hard copy, in person ( or friend with the paperwork)
Yes, she should have asked for help a week ago, but thought she could get it done

NewView Mon 27-Mar-17 08:12:31

Will look up her Uni rules.
Thanks for all help.

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Mon 27-Mar-17 08:15:21

Are you def sure 're electronic hand in? All the unis I know from RG one I attended to local ex poly that I've just completed a CPD course at all use turn it in. Double check as she may be mistaken in her anxiety.

roundthehorn Mon 27-Mar-17 08:19:02

Why is she relying on a friend to hand in work? Surely essays are submitted online?
Her university should have some kind of student support service which would be her first port of call. SHe may be able to get an extension with a sick note. GPs either on campus or in the area are generally sympathetic to students and she may be able to speak of anxiety that's causing her writers block.
I have 2 daughters at uni and when they started would often help them get going on a project with a brainstorming session, jotting down dot points and finding a jumping in point.
Managing the day to day tasks of first year can be very daunting after the hand holding they get in 6th form and she is going to need to learn self governing skills and also to speak up for herself.

disappearingfish Mon 27-Mar-17 08:24:44

Leave this to your DD to sort out. She needs to find out the rules but be aware that she could fail the year so badly she is thrown off the course.

TynesideBlonde Mon 27-Mar-17 08:29:40

Depending on her Uni regs obviously but she will probably have the option to apply for a short extension of about 7 days which can be agreed locally/instantly by her tutor. Mitigation can be granted by an independent panel and a new deadline agreed but this is for issues affecting the student for a longer period of time for instance bereavement, ill health etc and evidence is required.
Depending on how many modules/credits are being submitted today she maybe better to make a basic submission (cover sheet, title page etc) which would be graded 0% but she could then be granted a second submission which would be capped at a basic pass flat rate. It really depends if eh uni regs. She has options but must talk to someone as early as possible today.

senua Mon 27-Mar-17 08:48:51

Take a deep breath.
Pupils are spoon-fed at school. They are left to their own devices at University. A degree is not so much a marker of how clever you are but of how self-disciplined and organised you are.
Handing in assignments on time is part of this test. Not just "can you do this" but also "do you know how to make it better when it all goes pear-shaped".
Tell her to find out the rules and regs. Speak to people. Do damage limitation. Fess up.

Tutors will have seen this a million times before. She's not the first, won't be the last. If she's First Year, it may not be that crucial.

Admit the mistake, put it right, don't do it again, move on. Come out of this a better person.

senua Mon 27-Mar-17 08:51:17

And try for an extension before the deadline has passed. It's not usually given after the event.

onadifferentplanet Mon 27-Mar-17 09:22:52

At Ds' Uni work must be submitted by 3pm on submission day, I think that's pretty standard so she has a little time to sort this but it's down to her not you. Submission is usually electronic so can be done from anywhere and I would have thought there will be an online option to request a short extension? (longer with evidence to back it up).
Ds had to ask for a short one in January, he had got all but one module in on time and had left a week to polish the last piece only to go down with a horrendous bug, it literally took seconds for him to sort it out, just had to press a couple of buttons.

NewView Mon 27-Mar-17 09:51:07

They have to submit on line plus a hard copy. She has e-mailed her tutor.
I just needed to get her to pull her head out of the sand and do something. I really am not the interfering mother sort- I've generally let her sort her own issues out for years. But she's not herself right now and I'm really quite worried about her.

Nicotina Mon 27-Mar-17 12:41:57

Sounds like there is a range of stuff going on of which late submission is just a part. You cannot fix her late submission problem although moral support will obviously help.
One chunk at a time with the problems she's having. It's easy to get overwhelmed and fix nothing. Good luck. If you are talking, that's a good sign and a good start.

Gannet123 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:24:10

It's worth saying that failing to submit, or submitting late, at this stage can be a first sign of a developing anxiety problem. Sometimes it's being unwilling to submit work that is already done (perfectionism) but sometimes it's self sabotage or procrastination to avoid being in that position - and often being in denial, so saying that you're fine and it's going OK when it isn't. It's possible her tutor or student support services will pick up on it - good student support involves picking up on this kind of thing. But if she's ever had any issues with anxiety in the past, and particularly as you seem to be worried about her now, it might be worth keeping an eye on her. Unfortunately, my experience with students with anxiety is that they are often very unwilling to accept that anything is wrong until the disorder is getting worse and they are in real trouble - anxious students are often good and dilligent students who don't want to accept that they might miss deadlines and not do work. But a bit of a supportive chat might make a real difference at this stage, rather than just assuming it's disorganisation/time management problems, particularly if she's not usually like that.

Nongoddess Mon 27-Mar-17 13:29:34

Great that she's talking to you, and you're aware of the problem. Just to second other posters eg. Gannet, who have said this can be a symptom of other issues, and it may be worth her having a chat with Student Support, and certainly with her personal tutor, I'm sure she'll have one. Or, given your concern that she's not herself, it wouldn't be unreasonable to talk to her GP, who may or may not be able to put her in touch with counselling services, but who may also be able to give her a sick note. Your poor dd! Lucky to have a parent she can feel comfortable with, in any case, and share her anxieties.

FlyAwayPeter Sun 02-Apr-17 17:50:51

Writer's block is not a reason for an extension!

She needs to sort herself out, not rely on her mother. Maybe she's not ready for university?

monkeywithacowface Sun 02-Apr-17 17:53:51

She won't get an extension this close to the deadline. On my course you would get the opportunity to resit but it would be capped at a D grade

NewView Sun 02-Apr-17 18:21:17

Thank you FlyAway- she is sorting herself out and she is not relying on me. I just wanted to support her as possible and to do that I needed to understand the system as it is quite different from the course I did a good while ago. Nor was she asking for an extension as she knew perfectly well it was too late for that.
Nicotina, Gannet and Nongodess, thank you - you are on the right track and your advice has been really helpful.

notangelinajolie Sun 02-Apr-17 18:47:16

My DD was allowed an extension for final year dissertation due to a family problem just 2 days before deadline. It was only an additional 2 days but it gave her a breathing space and time to submit a finished piece. There was no notice period requirement - her tutor was very understanding and allowed her the time due to the circumstances.

OP I see she is sorting this out for herself so hopefully her problem can be resolved without a negative impact on her degree. As others have said - she won't be the first to have missed a deadline.

FlyAwayPeter Sun 02-Apr-17 19:50:38

Your daughter had a serious reason and sought help before the deadline. That's quite different to a panicking student with her head in the sand which is what the OP described. Panic and uncertainty are human and we see a lot of that as tutors. What's frustrating is when students won't do anything about it.

And in those sorts of circumstances, we don't know whether there's a genuine problem or the student is just taking the mick. And they do, far more than parents might prefer to believe.

NewView Sun 02-Apr-17 20:47:30

FlyAway- your viewpoint is obviously tinted by your day job. Even a student panicking at the last minute surely deserves a more sympathetic approach than yours. Thankfully my daughters tutor has been helpful. I was not expecting any special dispensation for her, although she was actually ill and should have asked for help sooner, she didn't, which is the relevant fact. All I was asking for was advice, for her to act on, in terms of damage limitation.
I am sure she is not the first either, to find the transition from A level and relative spoon feeding to University to be difficult.

FlyAwayPeter Sun 02-Apr-17 20:54:18

Actually I'm quite sympathetic to students, just not enabling parents! I have a duty to make sure that all students are tested fairly and transparently. So i have to have a broader outlook than a parent.

If someone in your daughter's situation came to me, I would want them to be open with me, so i could help them. But they would also have to take responsibility. And be honest with me if there are issues.

It's about growing up, and, in my experience, sometimes parents find d this as difficult as their children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now