Talk

Advanced search

Trying to find uni student accommodation for 2nd year.

(7 Posts)
Boonegirl Thu 23-Mar-17 12:57:48

Has anyone any experience of finding student accommodation in the private sector even later than now? My thoughts are that spaces will become available as some students are bound to drop out of courses after they have committed to a room for the next year and then those rooms are available for others still looking for rooms. I'm panicking as there is so little available and I'm hoping there will be some rooms available later if we just chill about it. What do you think?

titchy Thu 23-Mar-17 13:03:36

Might help if you say what town/city.

IHeartDodo Thu 23-Mar-17 13:05:04

It depends how picky you are and what you want.
If you are just a single person looking for a room in a shared house then something will come up.
If you are with a group of 6 I doubt you'll get anything!
Your best bets are probably getting in touch with all the letting agents who deal with students, and keeping your ears open on facebook / gumtree.
Or you could try for University accommodation, some unis will have spare places.

blueskyinmarch Thu 23-Mar-17 13:09:31

My DD2 is in first year and has already got her accommodation sorted for next year. She has had it sorted since around mid February and even then she felt they had left it a bit late.

Do you know who you are going to share with? My DD put in for many properties but they eventually got a game plan together. They looked at the ads every day and when a new one went on they tried to be thee first to see it. For the one they got all 6 of them went to see it, they were first in the door and they all went straight to the agents to put down a holding deposit. This is in Bristol. When my DD1 was trying to get a flat in Glasgow it was exactly the same process.

I would get on to it right away OP before all the accommodation is gone!

Hellmouth Thu 23-Mar-17 13:27:46

Don't chill about it, get proactive and search all avenues. Most people will have sorted it out by now, and I wouldn't depend on dropouts unless your uni has an abysmal dropout rating ...

purpleleotard Thu 23-Mar-17 18:06:01

Contact the local Landlords' association as they may be able to circulate their members with a wanted advert.
Check out Easyroommate and Spareroom for their online advert and put up a wanted.
Steer clear of University accommodation as it is often hugely expensive.

bojorojo Thu 23-Mar-17 23:27:39

Most students want to share with friends and not just take a room with random people they don't know. I would get into a group of friends PDQ and look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now