Open University Fees

(6 Posts)
Femaleindecisive Wed 22-Mar-17 09:15:59

I am looking into starting with the Open University this September/October to study an undergraduate degree in Social Sciences. I currently work full time and have a family so I would have to do it in my own time and doing the 60 credits a year will take me 6 years to complete, at least. The fees for a 60 credit course per year in England is £2864.00 so the total would be around £17184.00. The fees for a 60 credit course in Wales is £958.00 so the total here would be around £5748. WTAF?

So here's the thing...I live in England but I have only lived here a few years, I am originally from Wales. I have lots of family and friends there. Would it be incredibly cheeky and would anyone know if it is even possible for me to register at my mums address in Wales but study from home in England. Exams etc wont be a problem as I visit them quite often anyway. It's just such a massive difference.

Cheers all smile

OP’s posts: |
CustardShoes Wed 22-Mar-17 11:22:47

As I said on your other thread, if you can live with this lie, then whatever ...

But don't come asking other people so as to make you feel better about lying.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 22-Mar-17 11:34:35

At the end, if you need an academic reference, you have to ask the person responsible for your area. If you apply for a job, the people looking at your reference might wonder why you have a reference from the OU in Wales, but have clearly been working in England for the last X years.

Do you have a degree already and will be self funding this one? If you ask student finance for anything, you'll obviously have to provide proof of address.

It's not just exams, there might be tutorials etc as well - plus exams are on weekdays so you might need more time off work than for a local sitting, would this be straightforward?

titchy Wed 22-Mar-17 11:45:46

The reason why fees are cheaper to Welsh students is that they're entitled to some of their fees paid by the Welsh Government which they then pay direct to the OU. The council your mum lives in would expect you to complete paperwork stating you're living there, paying council tax, registered at GP etc.

So yes go for it, what could possibly go wrong hmm

titchy Wed 22-Mar-17 11:46:17

Just get a fee loan from SLC the same as everyone else.

onlyaproseccoqueen Wed 22-Mar-17 12:05:00

Yeah I knew i'd be pushing it - thanks guys, put me in my place which I what i needed to hear to be honest.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in