Advanced search

Maintenance grant

(6 Posts)
Gomrod Thu 09-Mar-17 10:42:01

My son has been offered a maintenance grant for uni starting Sept due to me being a lone parent on benifits. However, I will probably be moving in with my boyfriend over the summer, so will my son have to give the grant back as I will no longer be single?

RedHelenB Thu 09-Mar-17 13:54:45

You would need to update your finance application with student finance when you move in with your boyfriend.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 09-Mar-17 14:14:43

My understanding is that this is not the case as I think it will be based on the tax year up to April 2017. However when he does his renewal next year it will be based on the tax year up to April 2018. He may still qualify for the grant, if not he will still get a maintenance loan.

RedHelenB Thu 09-Mar-17 14:38:45

I would still let them know change of address and that you now have a partner.

alreadytaken Thu 09-Mar-17 15:08:34

not this year as it's based on a past tax year, I think it was actually to April 2016 and that would mean next year would also be good. However the year after you would have to give the family income.

angieloumc Wed 15-Mar-17 09:45:37

There are no maintenance grants anymore it is only loans. However pp is right in saying that it is not this tax year used for student finance purposes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: