University offers for 2017 start (Part 2)

(1000 Posts)
EnormousTiger Thu 02-Mar-17 11:21:02

Continuation of the original thread which is now on to 40 page maximum.
Original thread (part 1) here:

Most offers now received. My twins have had offers from their 4 and are currently deciding which will be firm and which insurance. One twin
( possibly two of them) is going to an offer holders' day coming up at Bristol next month with his friends from school.

OP’s posts: |
aginghippy Thu 02-Mar-17 11:29:12

Thanks Tiger

My dd has had 4 offers for mechanical engineering, still waiting to hear from Bristol. She has decided she will firm either Bristol or Southampton. She has an offer holders day at Southampton later in March.

Every time I speak to my father or fil, they ask if dd has heard from Bristol yet. Maybe they need a hand holding thread on grandpasnet.

IWillGoToTheBall Thu 02-Mar-17 11:36:06

Thanks Tiger - still waiting here for final 2 for dd, Dundee and Strathclyde.

EnormousTiger Thu 02-Mar-17 11:38:47

Yes, relatives can be a bit annoying. Sometimes the only question my 3 sons are asked are if they've picked a career yet (and no, for the umpteenth time they haven't...)

I don't want to put too much emphasis on my twins' choices as one has to get A*AA for Durham and Bristol and his twin only I think it is AAA and Bristol AAB so it is probably likely one will get to Bristol (I think Bristol they will choose over Durham) and the other might well not get an A* and go to Nottingham. As they have older sisters who went to one of each I know it will be fine either way but I don't want either of them to feel unhappy if the other twins gets their firmed place and the other one doesn't (it was much easier when I had the older children who weren't twins and none of this comparison stuff between them).....

OP’s posts: |
ErrolTheDragon Thu 02-Mar-17 12:47:25

Thanks for the new thread, Tiger.
DD has all her offers in, for elec&electronic eng except Cambridge which is Gen. eng. She's going to an offer holders thing there in a couple of weeks time - its an overnight stay, which is good as she was pooled and hasn't visited the college before, so she won't make her firm/insurance choices till then just in case something puts her off it. Her other favourite is Southampton, I'm not 100% convinced she shouldn't decide to go there anyway, its a great place for engineering (and sailinggrin) but of course it's totally her choice. If she doesn't get the A stars in both FM and physics plus A in maths for Cambridge, she will be delighted to go there (the offer is A star AA, but 'free insurance' 3A for a BEng which should make it safe enough as the reserve).

(I'm trying to remember to avoid using * on grades as it causes bolding on the app - which can take a bit of deciphering)

titchy Thu 02-Mar-17 13:02:37

Dd has all hers now. Has decided to firm Exeter but has just decided she should have a look at Warwick now too... hmm

Tiger are your twins identical (just being nosey!)?

HSMMaCM Thu 02-Mar-17 13:04:02

Dd has a reduced offer if she firms Reading, an unconditional offer if she firms Bath Spa and a 'we'd love to have you' from Sheffield Hallam.

She is still also considering Open University. She's going to some applicant days and hopefully that will help her decide.


dingit Thu 02-Mar-17 13:48:38

Tiger, that must be so stressful with twins flowers

I don't think my Dd will be going anywhere, her grades are all over the place an A star on one maths paper, C on another confused

ErrolTheDragon Thu 02-Mar-17 15:36:19

Mocks can be like that, dingit. Apparently the maths mocks at DD's school were unusually bad this year. They'll all be doing loads of past papers, maths is one of those subjects where practice really is important - I'm just glad that our lot are still on the old spec so there are a lot of past papers, there won't be much available for the physics (and other subjects).

What does she need to get?

OddBoots Thu 02-Mar-17 15:50:13

After sitting on his offers for a week ds has locked in his firm (Sheffield) and insurance (City). He has perhaps not pushed himself as hard as he could have as his offer at Sheffield is a grade lower than his predicted in all 3 A Levels but he really loved the city, the university and the course and he is very calculated and logical about it all.

Now we just have to look at student finance - we will have start that at the weekend I think.

My mum is only just holding it together, she has agoraphobia and the idea of DS being 2 hours away is tough for her, thankfully as DS has asperger's he hasn't noticed.

dingit Thu 02-Mar-17 15:52:10

She's predicted A star, but A will do!

I can't help going to sleep ( if I can sleep) with a horrible knot in my stomach. It didn't help that ds had a complete meltdown over his maths GCSE mock last night.

Someone pass me wine

Needmoresleep Thu 02-Mar-17 16:28:46

dingit, if teachers have predicted an A* then they believe she can do it. Which should make maths the easy one. It's just practice. Lots of past papers. Other subjects are much more unpredictable.

Also mocks are generally marked harshly. They would not want kids becoming too confident.

readsalotgirl63 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:51:38

Hi* Iwillgototheball* dd has unconditional from Dundee and Strahclyde but was rejected by Edinburgh. Top choice is Glasgow but that's a conditional.

IWillGoToTheBall Thu 02-Mar-17 19:11:23

Thanks reads - what excellent news. Not entirely sure why but I am feeling a bit Brexit-pessimistic. We live in France which means my ds might seem less attractive at €2000 a year than an English student at €10,000 +. Predicted grades are ABB, not sure if that will be good enough.

EnormousTiger Thu 02-Mar-17 22:40:13

(titchy, my twins are same gender but non identical, very different looking but still share a bed room and one uses the empty one next door for his computer and other stuff and clothes. Three of their AS were identical geog history and economics (and they got the same AS grades last year) and this year two of their A levels are the same subject - geog and history so it gets a bit competitive. I will be happy if they get their first choice or back up and I wish they would not compare themselves to the other so much. They are totally separate people and I don't mind if either does better than the other. There is a lot of luck in it all and clearly they are pretty similar in terms of exam results so far,. I just hope the A level results don't result in one doing a lot better than the other.

Their mocks are next week. One was thinking of joining his twin on the Bristol day but his subject is a different week so I think he may not bother going. It's up to him.

OP’s posts: |
GetAHaircutCarl Fri 03-Mar-17 08:26:20

Waves at fellow twins mums.

We have all UCAS offers on the table here ( with Bristol finally getting in touch on Saturday).

But we're still awaiting US offers. Plus RADA (and DD threatened to also put in a last minute application to LAMDA so maybe that's a possible too).

I shall be super glad when all this is done. Roll on September.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 03-Mar-17 08:32:24

DD1 got an offer from Warwick of 34 points (IB), same from Leeds and 32 from Lancaster. Aberystwyth offered her 28 and then helpfully cancelled her course. Bristol rejected her without interview.

dingit Fri 03-Mar-17 09:12:56

Dd got a reply from Bath at last, a rejection as course was full, and an alternative offer. She wasn't happy, but it wasn't in the running anyway!

EnormousTiger Fri 03-Mar-17 13:46:18

Quite a few twins this year.

Having had 3 older chidlren go through the process and all graduate etc I do think it all tends to work out okay in the end anyway and not worth worrying about. It's a big unfair one of my twins needs A*AA for Bristol and the other AAB so a good chance one won't go (it's their first choice I think ) but I hope he's got the mental resourcefulness to cope with that as A*s are hard to get.

OP’s posts: |
nickynoo65 Fri 03-Mar-17 14:45:18

Hi. New to this Uni malarky as DD wasn't a bit interested but is working as an HCA at our local hospital which she loves. DS however is another kettle of fish and we are in the process of going through all of this. He is applying for Computer science with a year in placement although his firm choice is Exeter where he applied for a FCH with maths. Just awaiting on Southampton now but he has an open day and "informal" interview on the 16th March so I would assume the offer will come after that if he is going to get one. His predicted is A*AB and his offers have been Exeter A*AB, Cardiff ABB, (unless he firms them now in which case they will accept BBB) and Warwick AAA.
As it stands he will firm Exeter and insure Cardiff.
Thanks for the fab thread smile

HSMMaCM Fri 03-Mar-17 15:05:09

I'm getting quite excited just reading about all the adventures our children will be off on. DD has a big chart on the wall, where we are noting pros and cons of each option (including not going to uni). She does brighten up and get much more animated when talking about going to Bath Spa, which is the most expensive option on the wall.

She was shockingly naive about the finance aspects of the courses. I know I've spoken to her and college have spoken to them all and I've given her literature about it, but she didn't seem to understand about student loans, maintenance grants, or how she would buy food, toilet rolls, etc while she's there. Her comment on student loans was, "Well that's just stupid" grin.

dingit Fri 03-Mar-17 15:10:55

Dd is clued up money wise, but I don't think she appreciates the time she will need looking after herself! At the moment she lives in a 5 star hotel. Doing her own laundry and catering will be a shock I think smile

HSMMaCM Fri 03-Mar-17 17:10:19

I think DD will be fine with catering once she realises her budget won't stretch to dominoes pizza every night. DH and I were having a debate last night about how long it will take her to realise her towel needs washing envy.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 03-Mar-17 17:33:05


What course does your DD want to do because on the face of it Reading would probably be her best option if she gets the grades she needs?

HSMMaCM Fri 03-Mar-17 17:51:49

Psychology. Yes, Reading would be best. The course is great and she could live at home. The grade requirements are a stretch for her, but just about possible. After the problems we have had before exams in the past, I might feel happier that an unconditional offer from Bath Spa will be better for her mental health.

She has applicant days for both coming up, so we'll see how she feels after those.

This thread is not accepting new messages.