Advanced search

referee help

(4 Posts)
tempyuseynamey Sat 18-Feb-17 12:33:39

I'm applying to do my masters 16 years after qualifying for the job I'm in. I need my masters to progress although my employer will neither pay for it, nor give me time off to do it. So I'm doing it distance learning self funding.

I'm pretty sure my employer will not consent to being a reference nor will a colleague do it in case they get into trouble. I think my employer worries I'll leave so I have not said I'm going to do it anyway (in my spare time so they don't find out)

I can't use an academic reference as my previous tutors have all left.

So who can I use for a reference? I think the uni would prefer employment or academic but I'm unlikely to get either.

justbeinreal Sat 18-Feb-17 12:35:27

I was in a similar position and used a friend who is a professional in the area the masters is in: they were fine with it and said they understand and are more flexible with mature students.

tempyuseynamey Sat 18-Feb-17 13:13:17

my problem is I have such a friend and she's a tutor on the course I'm applying for so I can't use her! She says I should use my employers but I can't as I believe it would put my job at risk.

Hisstory Sat 18-Feb-17 14:22:39

Why don't you call the Uni and ask for their advice? Im sure they get applications from mature students who can't provide academic references and who don't work so can't provide references from their employers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: