Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mature student going to uni as a Single parent

(7 Posts)
ellaphant1987 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:12:02

Hi, this is my first post smileI am a 29 year old, single parent to two girls aged 9 and 6 and I have applied to do a primary education degree with foundation year at Canterbury Christ church. I have been sent an email yesterday offering me an interview in march. Just wanted to know if anyone can give a rough idea of what to expect from the interview, I have no formal qualifications, but have spoken to the uni who have said that I coould do the gcse side of things along side the foundation year , My daughter's school has also kindly agreed for me to volunteer a couple of days a week around the degree should I get acceped, anyone in the same boat, or can offer any advice , interview tips ect , finance?? I will be giving up my part time job to do this and have looked into the finance side of it, but if anyone can give first hand advice then that would be great , I currently get help with housing benefit, and working tax credits ect but don't know about much else. thanks in advance xx

ellaphant1987 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:56:42

bump

Happyelves Thu 02-Feb-17 15:44:49

Hi there, and well done for taking this move! I'm a 36 year old post grad single mum. There's a difference about the level of support available to you if you are doing a part time or full time degree. I would strongly suggest going for all of the financial support from student loans and uni as possible, so that if the authorities decide in their wisdom to stop any benefits you still have something coming in.
Remember also that going to one university gives you access to a lot of uni's libraries so if you live far from your uni you should be able to get a pass for your local uni through your uni library

ellaphant1987 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:05:27

Hi thanks for your reply! I am doing full time and have got an interview on 22nd march, so hopefully all goes well. just waiting for the student finance to open so I can start claiming in the hope that I get in! x

Happyelves Sat 04-Feb-17 08:05:55

Good luck. It's hard but worth itsmile

Noregretsatall Sat 04-Feb-17 21:29:41

I studied at CCCU, had a fantastic time there (did music!). Good luck, hope you're successful in getting a place.

ellaphant1987 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:40:32

thank you for your reply's smile I have the interview tomorrow and am nervous but not as nervous as I thought I would be! any one know what to expect from the interview? I read somewhere that as a mature student with no formal qualifications, the interview would be mainly to access how I would get on back in an educational setting? anyone know? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now